Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

How do I make an international payment on the app?

How to do an international payment on the mobile app?

• From the home screen, select the pay icon at the bottom of the screen
  • Select ‘Overseas payment’
  • International payments screen
    • Select a new international payment option ‘Pay a person’, ‘Pay a company’, or ‘Fund my international account’
    • view your payment history, track the status of your payment or pay the same person again by pressing ‘Pay again’
  • After you have selected a new international payment option, you will be required to confirm that all your personal details are correct and you agree to the terms and conditions. (If your personal details are not correct, visit your nearest Standard Bank branch to update your personal details)
    • The Learn more tab at the top of the page allows you to learn everything you need to know about making an international payment
  • Select ‘Continue’
  • Payment details:
    • Select the account that you want to pay from
    • Select the currency that you want to pay in
    • You can stipulate the amount you want to send in either Rand or foreign currency by switching the toggle on the left of the amount field
    • Select who will pay the beneficiary bank fees (If you select, ‘I’ll pay’ for all the fees, then you will be charged fees by Standard Bank and then at a later date, the beneficiary bank will charge you a fee as well. If you select, ‘the beneficiary pays’, you will be charged Standard Bank’s fees and the beneficiary will pay for the Beneficiary bank fees.
    • Select ‘Calculate estimate’
    • View the cost estimate of your transaction and select ‘Continue’

• Beneficiary details
    • Enter beneficiary personal and bank details
    • Enter the reference you wish to see on your statement and the reference you want the beneficiary to see on their statement
  • BOP (your reason for payment)
    • Select your Reason for making this payment
    • Select ‘Continue’
  • Enter One Time Pin (OTP) pin sent to your phone
  • Review
    • Review the transaction summary screen and tap on ‘Confirm’

What do I need to make an international payment on the app?

• Beneficiary details:
    • If you are paying an individual you need to know the beneficiary’s name, surname, gender and full physical address.
    • If you are paying an entity/company you will need the entity’s name and full physical address.
  • Bank details:
    • Your beneficiary needs to get these details from their bank and give them to you.
    • You will need the beneficiary’s account number or International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and a valid bank SWIFT code.
    • Depending on which country you are sending the money to, some countries also need a bank SORT or routing code.
    • IBAN:
      • An IBAN (International Bank Account Number) consists of an alphabetical country code, followed by 2 numbers and up to 35 characters. Together, these identify the country, bank and the beneficiary’s account number. Most European countries use IBAN account formats. Example: GB25SBIC40523378945612
      • Some countries (like South Africa and America) do not use IBAN. For international payments  a normal account number is used. The account number only identifies the account at a bank and holds no additional information.
    • SWIFT code:
      • A SWIFT code is used for identifying banks for sending money overseas.
      • A SWIFT code contains either 8 or 11 characters.
      • Example: Standard Bank South Africa’s SWIFT address: SBZAZAJJ
    • SORT / Routing code:
      • Depending on which country you are sending the money to, some countries also need a bank SORT or routing code.
    • BOP code (Reason for Payment):
      • You will be required to select a BoP code (aka Reason for Payment) for your payment.
      • South African legislation requires you to provide a reason why you are sending money outside South Africa.
      • The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) uses a set of predetermined codes for this, called a Balance of Payment (BoP) code.
      • Example: 101-01 – Import advance payment
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎13-08-2018 03:25 PM
Updated by:

Comments
DavidSpangenbe
Visitor

On my transact option I do not have the option to pay into an account at side SA, how do I add such an account.

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi David, 

Did you update your app to the latest version?

kweyamaolwethu
Occasional Visitor

I want my card to be allowed to make international payments or transactions ...how do I do that ?

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi,

• From the home screen, select the transact icon the top right of the screen
  • Select ‘Pay’
  • Select ‘Pay a new Beneficiary’
  • Select ‘A beneficiary outside South Africa’
  • Accept the Terms & Conditions
  • Select ‘Get started’
  • Confirm that all your personal details are correct (if they are not, then select ‘These details are incorrect’ and visit your nearest Standard Bank Bureau de Change to update your personal details)

• Select ‘Confirm’
  • Complete the
    • Beneficiary personal details
    • Beneficiary bank details
    • BOP Code (your reason for payment)
    • Fee type option. Standard Bank as well as the beneficiary bank will charge fees for an international payment. If you select, I’ll pay for all the fees, then you will be charged fees by Standard Bank and then at a later date, the beneficiary bank will charge you a fee as well. If you select, “We’ll split the fees”, you will be charged Standard Bank’s fees and the beneficiary will pay for the Beneficiary bank fees.
    • References
  • Enter the amount that you want to send
  • Stipulate the amount you want to send in either Rand or foreign currency by switching the toggle on the left next to the amount field
  • Select ‘Agree’
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi, please visit your nearest branch for assistance with your request.

jesaminemyrton
Occasional Visitor

I am currently traveling and need to make a transfer to a account where I am. When I try it tells me to update my address information. I can't because there is no branch here. Calling is way to expensive from here. What do I do?

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi,  can you please forward me your contact details and ID number, so our consultants can investigate this matter and call you with feedback.

brinkjoan
Visitor

I have no option to accept the terms and conditions? 

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Brinkjoan,

Please look carefully when transacting, depending on the device, the Ts & Cs will be at the bottom or top of the screen.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

CS
Occasional Visitor

There seem to be numerous people who have the same issues, i.e. No option to select " payment to someone outside of  SA" . The app is updated, but still does not give this option. What is the problem ?

François

Outdated. Thus is not the  correct  path.

irfangoraya43
New Contributor

In my app there is no get starting option when i go to international payment option

Nosibor1
Occasional Visitor

When i try to fund my international brokers account using their payment method ( mastercard) the system takes me all the way till the otp. After thats been entered the transaction keeps on failing. I never had this problem before . Why now all of a sudden? 

JONALEX
Occasional Visitor

The cell phone app doesnt work to date for International transfer.  I'm trying to send money to Malawi... at the page asking for banking details, I enter the country, account and swift.  Then it doesnt accept.  There is a button labeled "DONE" and when I press on it, it just changes color momentarily and then nothing happens.  When I push back, it asks me for same information to proceed.

I am using a Samsung Note 9.

Frustrating. 

Very frustrating

@StandardBank wrote:

How to do an international payment on the mobile app?

• From the home screen, select the pay icon at the bottom of the screen
  • Select ‘Overseas payment’
  • International payments screen
    • Select a new international payment option ‘Pay a person’, ‘Pay a company’, or ‘Fund my international account’
    • view your payment history, track the status of your payment or pay the same person again by pressing ‘Pay again’
  • After you have selected a new international payment option, you will be required to confirm that all your personal details are correct and you agree to the terms and conditions. (If your personal details are not correct, visit your nearest Standard Bank branch to update your personal details)
    • The Learn more tab at the top of the page allows you to learn everything you need to know about making an international payment
  • Select ‘Continue’
  • Payment details:
    • Select the account that you want to pay from
    • Select the currency that you want to pay in
    • You can stipulate the amount you want to send in either Rand or foreign currency by switching the toggle on the left of the amount field
    • Select who will pay the beneficiary bank fees (If you select, ‘I’ll pay’ for all the fees, then you will be charged fees by Standard Bank and then at a later date, the beneficiary bank will charge you a fee as well. If you select, ‘the beneficiary pays’, you will be charged Standard Bank’s fees and the beneficiary will pay for the Beneficiary bank fees.
    • Select ‘Calculate estimate’
    • View the cost estimate of your transaction and select ‘Continue’

• Beneficiary details
    • Enter beneficiary personal and bank details
    • Enter the reference you wish to see on your statement and the reference you want the beneficiary to see on their statement
  • BOP (your reason for payment)
    • Select your Reason for making this payment
    • Select ‘Continue’
  • Enter One Time Pin (OTP) pin sent to your phone
  • Review

What do I need to make an international payment on the app?

• Beneficiary details:
    • If you are paying an individual you need to know the beneficiary’s name, surname, gender and full physical address.
    • If you are paying an entity/company you will need the entity’s name and full physical address.
  • Bank details:
    • Your beneficiary needs to get these details from their bank and give them to you.
    • You will need the beneficiary’s account number or International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and a valid bank SWIFT code.
    • IBAN:
      • An IBAN (International Bank Account Number) consists of an alphabetical country code, followed by 2 numbers and up to 35 characters. Together, these identify the country, bank and the beneficiary’s account number. Most European countries use IBAN account formats. Example: GB25SBIC40523378945612
      • Some countries (like South Africa and America) do not use IBAN. For international payments  a normal account number is used. The account number only identifies the account at a bank and holds no additional information.
    • SWIFT code:
      • A SWIFT code is used for identifying banks for sending money overseas.
      • A SWIFT code contains either 8 or 11 characters.
      • Example: Standard Bank South Africa’s SWIFT address: SBZAZAJJ
    • SORT / Routing code:
    • BOP code (Reason for Payment):
      • You will be required to select a BoP code (aka Reason for Payment) for your payment.
      • South African legislation requires you to provide a reason why you are sending money outside South Africa.
      • The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) uses a set of predetermined codes for this, called a Balance of Payment (BoP) code.
      • Example: 101-01 – Import advance payment

Kweyamas
Occasional Visitor

I want to pay Netflix but the error message is that I have to make sure that my card is enable for international transaction.  Can someone help me with that