Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

EFT clearance time

How long does it take for an EFT payment to clear?           

There is a 24 hour period maximum clearance time for transfers between Standard Bank accounts, while payments to other banks may take two to three business days to reflect on the beneficiary's statement. Payments made into a MasterCard account take 24 hours to reflect on a statement.

What is the clearance period for international payments?  

International transfers take between 2 to 3 business days to clear.

Why are clearance times on money transfers taking longer than 48 hours (SB to SB) and longer than 72 hours to other banks?  

The clearance process is a security measure. It is important to remember that weekends and public holidays are not considered business days and should funds take more than 3 business days a client is welcome to call the payer to request tracing with the paying bank.

I have received a payment confirmation but the money still does not reflect in my account.

A payment confirmation from the sender is not an indicator that the money is available, merely that the sender has activated the transfer via internet banking.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎24-07-2017 02:32 PM
Updated by:

Comments
Urshy

Standard bank really needs to improve their eft transaction time especially from standard bank to standard bank transfers, it is pathetic. Ive been stranded whole day

evidentsynergy
Occasional Visitor

If a nedbank customer does an EFT on a friday, when will it reflect on my standard bank cheque account?

Mann

Why does it take so long for standard bank to process EFTs from other banks? It has been more than 50 hours after I transferred to standard bank from my other bank account.  

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Mann,

Please be advised that it should normally take between 2 to 3 business days for funds to clear from Standard Bank to a non Standard bank account. Should the funds not reflect within this period, kindly contact customer care on 0860 123 000 or forward your account number, ID number and contact details to [email protected] with the subject line "delayed EFT" so that we can look further into where the funds are currently rooted.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

Sehmara
Occasional Visitor

This is so messed up standard bank is not serious, I did a payment yesterday (30/12/2018) at 1540hrs to a standard bank account and it's still not cleared till now at 1330hrs (31/12/2018) and we are still waiting. Anyway why is the money reflecting in my account as Outstanding Authorizations?

Hbk2001

This is really the worst online bank in the world!

Friday I did a payment on my app from my Standard Bank Credit Card to one of my suppliers with a Standard Bank account.  3 hours later I drove almost 2 hours to collect the stock and the money wasn't reflecting in their account.  I phoned Standard Bank and they told me it is because I used my Credit Card and my app which could take up to 24 hours to reflect (Std Bank to Std Bank).  After a while I managed to pursuade the manager to release my stock.

Today I had another payment to a Standard Bank account.  So I used my savings account and I used my Online Banking.  Exactly the same issue.  Almost 4 hours later and the money is still not reflecting in their account and my driver is standing and waiting.

I have never ever experienced this with Absa to Absa, FNB to FNB, Nedbank to Nedbank or even Absa to Woolworths!!?? 

But Standard Bank (the biggest bank in South Africa) wants to take all the money transfer daily by South Africans and keep an extra day of interest for themselves.

Really upset and angry.

capducount111
Visitor

My salary was deposited into my account, but when I log in to the app or internet banking, the amount is visible, but I have a ZERO available balance.

The transaction was SB to SB. Why are the funds not available?

Someone needs to call me. Not happy.

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @capducount111,

I ca understand your frustration on this. Can I kindly ask that you forward your account details, ID number and contact details to [email protected] with the subject line "Salary deposited, not reflecting" so that we can urgently look into this matter and assist you further.

Kind Regards,

Mandy

rafeeq
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I did a payment to a beneficiary (Standard Bank to Standard Bank payment) which has a 0 in front of the account number.

When I click pay from the Standard Bank app, the 0 falls away from the account number.

How can I tell if the payment made went to the correct account?

And if the payment went to the incorrect account because of the Standard Bank app omitted the 0,  how do I reverse this payment?

Kind Regards,

Rafeeq

rafeeq
Occasional Visitor

ok it appears  I cannot edit the comment, but from the track record of how often a response is given in this comment section, you may disregard the above issue because either way this will be resolved by myself by tomorrow if I find out that the beneficiary did not receive payment.

CyphoC
Occasional Visitor

I find it a bit disturbing for STD Bank to say that the delays in transfers are put inplace for seco urity reasons, 1. where is this security when one does instant money ? 2. how are other banks getting it right ? at this day and age you have to wait 24hrs for transfers between standard bank accounts to reflect.

STD bank, please get your ducks in a row, this is not acceptible even Capitec can do instant transfers . mind you this is kind of important to your customers.

Craig8
Occasional Visitor

I received a payment from FNB account on Saturday morning and it now close of business Monday and still not in my account. Why is standard bank the only bank that takes so long for our payments to clear??? Every other bank clears the same day at 6pm latest.

veneciaM_1992
Visitor

GOOD MORNING

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT HOW LONG DOES AN AUTO SHARE INVEST WITHDRAWAL TAKE TO REFLECT IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT

I MADE A WITHWRAL YESTERDAY AND IT STILL HASNT REFLECTED

Andries6
Occasional Visitor

If a customer from FNB makes a eft transfer over a weekend for a sale say R 100000. How can I ensure that money is in my account and stays in my account and also prevent a possible eft reversal from the person transferring the money?

@StandardBank wrote:

How long does it take for an EFT payment to clear?           

There is a 24 hour period maximum clearance time for transfers between Standard Bank accounts, while payments to other banks may take two to three business days to reflect on the beneficiary's statement. Payments made into a MasterCard account take 24 hours to reflect on a statement.

What is the clearance period for international payments?  

International transfers take between 2 to 3 business days to clear.

Why are clearance times on money transfers taking longer than 48 hours (SB to SB) and longer than 72 hours to other banks?  

The clearance process is a security measure. It is important to remember that weekends and public holidays are not considered business days and should funds take more than 3 business days a client is welcome to call the payer to request tracing with the paying bank.

I have received a payment confirmation but the money still does not reflect in my account.

A payment confirmation from the sender is not an indicator that the money is available, merely that the sender has activated the transfer via internet banking.

PatrickCoetzee
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone ever explained that redundancy is not a form of security. I fail to understand why,in a system that is mainly automated, something like an eft takes ages to clear, poor service really, excuses do not suffice and not a single clear/satisfactory explanation as to why.And as for "a person can 'pay' for instant clearance," congratulations on making banking a pay to win experience. force to pay for basic services they should already be receiving and with hold funds for some prerogative, the consultant at your bank was at least frank and honest when she suggested that if I require better service I should consider banking with a different institution.

Nadine5
Occasional Visitor

I made a payment from Standard bank to Fnb on Tueday evening around 9:30 pm its Friday today and the funds are not reflecting in the recipients account when will this funds clear.

marikevr

Hi,

I am waiting for a Discivery payment ot reflect in my account.  Payment was made 13 Nov 13:44 PM and it has still nto cleared.

Top kudoed posts in knowledge base