Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Buy electricity and validate your meter number on the Mobile Banking App, FAQs

Why do I receive the SMS with my reference number very late, or not at all, after I’ve paid?
It could be due to slow network response. If you transact on the app or on online banking you can find a record of your most recent purchase with the reference number.

Can I get a refund if I buy the wrong amount of electricity or enter the wrong meter number?
We can’t reverse any payments you make to the municipality or electricity supplier, so it’s best to double-check your details before you pay.

Can I get a refund if I repeat an incorrect purchase?

We can’t reverse any payments you make to the municipality or electricity supplier, so it’s best to double-check your details before you pay.

Why doesn’t my token load?
There may be something wrong with your meter. Your municipality will be able to help you.

Why does the bank include charges and debt when I buy prepaid electricity?
The debt and arrears reflecting on your SMS, emailer or purchase history are determined by your municipality or electricity supplier.

What is the ‘debt’?
If you’re in arrears on any of your municipal accounts, your municipality may allocate part or all of the prepaid purchase towards those arrears. Check your municipality’s prepaid requirements.

What are the charges?
Your municipality or electricity supplier may allocate your purchase towards charges, fees or levies. Refer to your municipal tariff handbook for help.

What are the bank charges when I purchase electricity?

R2.02 will be charged when purchasing electricity.

I’m having trouble making a prepaid electricity purchase
Please call our customer care line so we can see how we can assist.

What happens when the meter number is blocked by the municipality?

You will be notified and must refer their query to the municipality as we are unable to provide details on why the meter has been blocked.

Is the meter validation going to happen every time the purchase is made?

It should be once on the particular device.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎20-11-2018 03:43 PM
Updated by:

Comments
BarryC
Occasional Visitor

After returning from abroad, I find my old app will not work and on upgrading at the AppStore I have a whole new App that does not have my prepaid electricity history or meter and when I reload the meter number it says the municipality and meter number cannot be accessed. What kind of upgrade is this that functionality I had relied upon for years no longer works? Was user acceptance testing even contemplated? Poor show as I am out of the country again and my household does not have electricity. Your institution is a risk to me...

@Moshele wrote:

Why do I receive the SMS with my reference number very late, or not at all, after I’ve paid?
It could be due to slow network response. If you transact on the app or on online banking you can find a record of your most recent purchase with the reference number.

Can I get a refund if I buy the wrong amount of electricity or enter the wrong meter number?

Can I get a refund if I repeat an incorrect purchase?

Why doesn’t my token load?
There may be something wrong with your meter. Your municipality will be able to help you.

Why does the bank include charges and debt when I buy prepaid electricity?
The debt and arrears reflecting on your SMS, emailer or purchase history are determined by your municipality or electricity supplier.

What is the ‘debt’?
If you’re in arrears on any of your municipal accounts, your municipality may allocate part or all of the prepaid purchase towards those arrears. Check your municipality’s prepaid requirements.

What are the charges?
Your municipality or electricity supplier may allocate your purchase towards charges, fees or levies. Refer to your municipal tariff handbook for help.

What are the bank charges when I purchase electricity?

R2.02 will be charged when purchasing electricity.

I’m having trouble making a prepaid electricity purchase
Please call our customer care line so we can see how we can assist.

What happens when the meter number is blocked by the municipality?

You will be notified and must refer their query to the municipality as we are unable to provide details on why the meter has been blocked.

Is the meter validation going to happen every time the purchase is made?

It should be once on the particular device.

Moshele
New Contributor

Hi @BarryC

Sorry to hear that you’ve been inconvenienced. The ability to purchase prepaid electricity is a standard feature that has never been removed. 

It's difficult to assess which version of the app you are now using, and what the issue may be, therefore it may be best to contact our Self Service helpdesk for specific guidance on +2711 299 4701. 

It may also help for you to check in with your municipality to confirm your account/meter details, as sometimes the bank requires their validation, in oder for it to be able to process the transaction. 

Hope this helps!

smpumza
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I just bought electricity via the app and I have yet to receive the voucher number. Only received what I would assume a validation number. How do I get the pin? 

Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @smpumza

Please advise if this is still an issue? If yes - kindly forward your account and contact details to [email protected] in order for us to be able to investigate the issue and assist in resolving it.

We do apologise for any inconveniences caused.

Regards, 

Boitumelo

Fazila786
Occasional Visitor

Good day. I have tried on numerous occasions to purchase prepaid electricity on the app. I keep getting a message to say that 'the municipality could not be identified with the meter number.' This is a valid meter number, purchases from FNB and Online electricity goes through successfully but not with Standard bank. Please advise.

Thank you.

IsabelGe
Visitor

I have also tried on numerous occasions to purchase prepaid electricity via the Standard Bank app or website. I keep getting a message to say that 'the municipality could not be identified with the meter number.' This is a valid meter number, purchases from FNB goes through successfully but not with Standard bank. Please advise.