Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Cant purchase prepaid electricity

Solved
LlewWP

Dear Standard Bank

It is now roughly a year later and still I cannot purchase electricity using your banking app. This has now become an absurd, frustrating and bank changing kind of problem.

Please provide us with proper feedback other than you are negotiating with the City of Cape Town or to use your USSD which never works, or your ATM's which always seem to be down or cant be found.

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Dianaprosser,

Which area are you in?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

dianaprosser

I still cannot purchase electricity through my App..what's going on Std Bank?

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi RBennet,

We are in talks with the municipality regarding this and we will advise once the service becomes available. In the meantime you can purchase electricity at any ATM and by dialing the USSD code *120*2345# and following the prompts.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

RBennett
Solution
New Contributor
Has this issue been resolved yet?
Why are other bank Apps not having this issue?
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Regi,

You can purchase electricity via the USSD code, *120*2345# or via the ATM. Our team is still negotiating with the Cape Town municipality regarding the issue.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

regi
New Contributor
It is now Dec any progress on this issue as it is really essential as part of my banking experience
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Mpumzah735,

Can you please verify that the money was deducted so that I can assist.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

mpumzah735
Occasional Visitor
I bought electricity via my fone but I didn't get information to my cell number my money is gone no voucher for electricity
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi,

Could you please contact your electricity provider about registering your meter number. If you are in the Cape Town area, you can not buy electricity using our App, as this service is no longer available in this area.  Please buy your electricity using  the USSD, ATM and POS platforms.

Sithebe-Maphosa
Solution

Hi

I'm using an ESKOM prepaid. I bought electricity and received a voucher number but when I key-in the voucher number, it gets rejected. The meter is correct and I have double checked the voucher but it still does not go through. Should I register my meter number or what can be the problem?

Looking forward to here from you.

Kind regards

Aubrey

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi,

We are glad, you were able to purchase your electricity.

NC86
Solution
Occasional Visitor

I have been unable to buy electricity online and through the mobile app. But I tried buying electricity through cellphone banking, using *120*2345# and following the prompts. And it worked! So relieved I can at least buy elec using my phone.

StandardBank
Community Coordinator
Hi currently the service is not available in Cape Town. Alternatively, please make use of the USSD, Standard Bank ATM or POS services.
GKruger
Occasional Visitor

Any idea when/if this is going to be sorted out?

(Cape Town electricity issue)

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Alicemc88,

Can yo please make sure that the debit went through because in such instances you might have received the debt notification but due to the transaction not having taken place then the money was not deducted.

However if indeed the debit went through please contact our claims department on 0860 123 555 for further assistance.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

alicemc88
Solution
Hi, I purchased electricity via cell phone banking because the app wasn't working. It charged me R100 and never sent me the number to load. How do I get my money back?
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Jean,

Which area are you based?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

Jean
Occasional Visitor

It really is taking far too long to resolve this!!! 

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Stu,

Unfortunately you can't purchase any electricity from our online services in the Cape Town area currently, however we are looking into the issue and we will advise on way forward soon.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team