Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Hot card

Solved
18 REPLIES 18
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good afternoon, @Masase.

Thank you for reaching out.

A hot card is placed by our fraud team when suspecting fraudulent activities.

An SMS is sent to you to validate suspected transactions.

Our system will also attempt to contact you to validate suspicious transactions.

Should any of the above listed items not come through, please contact our fraud team on 0800 222 050 (toll-free) to unblock your card.

Let us know if you require further assistance on this.

Kind regards,

Standard Bank Team

Masase
I still can't make transactions after calling
MD11
Finally solved this.
Don't call the operators as they are clueless.

You need to go on your app create a new dashboard add your new card and then it should work. Thereafter you can delete your old dashboard which was linked to the hot card.
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @Aphiweowethu.

Thank you for coming back to me. Please share your email address. We would like to get in touch with you, and assist.

Kind regards,

Fana.

Aphiweowethu
New Contributor
Hi I called them yesterday and they said it's now fine but I'm still experiencing the same problem and this is a problem because I need to make transactions
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi Aphiwe.

Your card has a temp block. The fraud team would be able to assist by unblocking your card. Please dial 0800 222 050 for assistance.

Kind regards.

Fana.

Aphiweowethu
New Contributor
Hi my name is Aphiwe and I'm having a problem when I'm about to send money or buy airtime it keeps on telling me hot card
TSUNAMI
Well said
tinashechagopa
New Contributor
This issue persists all the time, I went to the branch it was removed, one week later it happened , I called the fraud line who managed to help me, and guess what it’s back again!! I can’t do this anymore!! we ask standard bank to please rather call the customer first than just blocking our cards unnecessarily!! I have never had this kind of issue with FNB, With standard bank I think I’m so close to taking all my money and only use FNB.. I AM NOT A HAPPY CLIENT OF STANDARD BANK!! It’s Like we don’t have the right to use our money whenever we want or however we want!! Problems after Problems !! They start by sending an sms to say fraud activities might be happening on your account (and it will be actually the owner making payments for example buying electricity or airtime they call it fraud activities depending with time you are buying**), the next thing your card is blocked!! You can be stuck on the road, or payments will stop at the moment you want to do the most important transactions!! No one cares, like now I’m stuck, it’s in the evening, and all call centres are closed!! I AM NOT HAPPY WITH STANDARD BANK, it’s my money in your account but I can’t use it at the time I want!! I have to call you first for permission!! What kind of a bank is this!! WHO DOES THAT TO THEIR OWN CLIENTS!! Bank charges goes out left right and Center but we can’t have access to our money because of these random blocks!! How many times do we have to visit the branch or call the call centres per month!!! PLEASE DO BETTER!!
LWAZI7

HI MY NAME IS LWAZI MBANE ID, YESTERDAY I MADE A NEW CARD DUE TO FRAUD THAT I REPORTED. NOW MY DEBIT CARD IS GIVING ME PROBLEMS WHENEVER I TRY MAKING ONLINE PAYMENTS, SOME WORDS APPEAR SAYING "HOT CARD". SO WHAT DO I DO NOW? I EVEN CALLED STANDARD BANK LANDLINE WITH NO POSSIBLE LUCK

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Disgruntled,

I can understand your frustration on this and would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. Please can I ask that you forward your account details, ID number and contact details to [email protected] with the subject line "hot card" so that we can urgently look into this matter and assist you further.

Regards,

Mandy

Disgruntled
Can you believe this is still a problem in 2020!!! 4 calls later to customer care and still being pushed from one department to another with no solution. I was bumped to Online Fraud and told they would call in 20min (which is terrible service) and then they never called. 3hours later I call in and there is nothing that indicates any action flagged on my account. Standard Bank this is so disappointing! Truly.
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi, you need to visit your nearest branch for assistance. 

tshepo711
New Contributor
When I logged onto Internet banking using the web browser it informed me that my card has been blocked for security reasons. I suspect that some of us who have been logging in with old card numbers will need to update our internet banking profiles with the most recent card which we are using. Once this is updated our accounts will be unlocked and we can start making payments via Internet banking again. I'll let you know if what I suspect is true later.
tshepo711
New Contributor
It's not very helpful of you to respond by saying refer to a previous post when the advice you gave in the previous post didn't work. Can you give us more options to solve this hot card issue besides call the call centre and go into the branch. I suspect that this has to do with the recent standard bank app update I just did. It's probably an IT issue that your IT team should look into urgently. I say this because I'm seeing this message for the first time ever on the standard bank app. I'm going to try making a payment on the internet browser and see if it helps.
StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi,

Please refer to your previous post.

camelittaclara
Occasional Contributor
I called and wasted SGD48.75 on overseas call to speak to your customer service. She only said my card is Hot Card. I have to visit a branch. And she gave me another no to call, I did just that and he will get his superior to contact me. After 5 days still no one contacting me. I need to make payment. You know how frustrated it is? I need to pay bills to beneficiries. Why must block me after I received funds from overseas from my family to Standard Bank? My family send money to help me pay bills while my husband out of job.
This is so unacceptable and really inconvenience to your customer.
StandardBank
Solution
Community Coordinator

Hi

You need to call our Credit Card Customer Service line on 086 120 1000 so that we may check what the reason for this indicator is and provide you with steps that need to be taken to correct this. Due to the various reasons why this indicator would appear, we are unable to isolate it to a few alternatives.

Regards,

Standard Bank

telvinanaidoo
When I try to make a payment it states Hot Card and doesn't go through. What do I do in this case
Go to the solution >