Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Screen overlay detected

Solved
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Screen overlay detected

good day

I have been using the standard bank app on my phone pretty much everyday for going on a year. I have recently started to receive a screen over lay issue which won't let me use the app. I do not have screen dimmers and I have disabled all the apps from overlaying and still nothing please help.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES
VIP

Re: Screen overlay detected

Hi Tsh77271

I am from the technical team working on the mobile banking application. We added the screen overlay detection mechanism to the app to address security vulnerabilities related to the use of "Full Screen Overlay" apps such as , but not limited to, Screen Dimmers. Malicious overlay apps can capture your private information (like usernames and passwords).

This mechanism has been in the app since last year sometime. Can you perhaps remember which app or apps you installed just prior to seeing the screen overlay warning from the mobile banking application?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Good day

Upon your recommendation I uninstalled the app I downloaded just before the error occurred and have restarted my phone to no avail
0 Kudos
VIP

Would you mind giving me the name of that app which you uninstalled? I'd like to see if there are any known issues with that app. Its possible that that app installed malware without your knowledge. I'd like to try rule that out.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Boxing round interval timer
0 Kudos
VIP

Thanks. I'll try replicate the issue on my side. I'll let you know if I find anything.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
VIP

I see quite a few Boxing round timer apps in the Play store. Did you download the one published by "Net Income CZ"?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
VIP

OK thanks for confirming. I've tested with that app on two devices on my side and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Were there any other apps that you may have installed between being able to use the banking app vs being stopped by the screen overlay issue?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm just going to go into a standard bank and try ask there because the problem started when a flurry of apps were updated. It is worth noting I do not have an excessive amount of apps or apps that may be considered problematic that might cause this problem.

Thank you for trying to assess the problem
0 Kudos
VIP

Unfortunately the branch most likely won't have the technical expertise to troubleshoot this issue for you. I am the technical lead in the team that implemented this feature so I'm in the best position to assist you with this.

The following link explains how to identify which apps could trigger the "screen overlay" detected issue (depending on which version of Android you are using): https://www.howtogeek.com/271519/how-to-fix-the-screen-overlay-detected-error-on-android/

Are there any apps listed in the "Draw over other apps' section?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I am running stock android on my nexus 6P the Google apps and talk back are the only ones that are listed.

I have tried disabling all of them even uninstalling and re-installing the standard back app
0 Kudos
VIP

I've seen some reports saying that the "Dim Screen" function in TalkBack can also cause screen overlay issues. Please try disabling the "DIM screen" setting in TalkBack, if it is enabled, and try again.

If that doesn't work I'd like to make a plan to contact you telephonically or in person.
0 Kudos
New Contributor

I am fed up with trying to sign in on the mobile app. I have disabled all apps that can draw over other apps. I have not recently installed any app.

What else can I do?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I deeply apologise for not updating everyone on my solution.

For those using any third party key boards(touch pal and any others that are not the stock keyboard that was pre installed on your phone). When signing in on the standard bank app, the app reads your keyboard as a screen overlay app. Simply hide your keyboard before you press sign in. You can do this by
*after typing in your password or details
1. Press the back button *once* so your key board is hidden/not visible on the display
2. Press any where on the screen that will make your key board not visible IE. Any where on the screen that doesn't have a function. Any blank space.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DISABLE/UNINSTALL/INSTALL ANY APPS

I hope this was helpful thank you to the standard bank technical team for responding and trying to help
VIP

Thanks for the feedback Tsh77271. Would you mind telling us which specific 3rd party keyboard you are using? We have tested our solution using certain 3rd party keyboards and weren't able to reproduce the problem. This issue may be related to only certain 3rd party keyboards.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I use TouchPal pro but the problem extends across both TouchPal and TouchPal pro
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thank you very much for this information. Hiding the keyboard worked. I use touchpal.
0 Kudos
VIP

Hi ife01. Are you perhaps using a 3rd party keyboard?
0 Kudos