Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Renting out flat

crux
New Contributor
Hi all

So my wife and I bought our flat about 6 years ago, with the intention of eventually renting it out when we buy a house. So that time has arrived and I would like to know, can we rent out the flat, and declare the rental payments as an extra income, and apply for a bond on a new house or would the bank not see the rental as extra income and will require that we will be able to afford both properties in regards to them approving a second bond?

Thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2
tnt
New Contributor

Hi,

It depends from bank to bank.  Some years ago, most banks recognised that as an income.  Over the years, a few stringes were added.  1st you need to have a rental contract of at least 6 months old.  Then they came with only a % being used as an income.  This % varies from bank to bank and can be as little as 50% of the rental income. You need to contact a few banks to get the most favorable deal.

Tinus

partridge1
Regular Contributor
Is this the right venue on which to air this question?