Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TFIA selling now

Barend1206
Contributor

My TFIA has really been running since the Rand started sliding. However nothing keeps going in one direction. I am going to sell all the ETF's in my TFIA and wait for the Rand to normalise again before taking positions again. In mean time I am earning interest.

Am I missing something with this approach?

2 REPLIES 2
partridge1
Regular Contributor

I have lightened my USA focussed ETF's, cos the run up is now looking for a place to fall off the cliff and being some 43% up I am not complaining .  I don't know if the ZAR will return to 12 30 but it sure is oversold. Standard sees it (?) strengthening by the year end.  I think one might want to lean over the fence and look down on some  heading for oversold ETF's - as in undervalued - (is property reaching a reasonable yeild ?)- and therefore price? Sure looks better than the stupid stuff at the year's beginning.  I started looking at emerging markets but  the SATRIX offering looks obscure as it stands - well at least to me

Barend1206
Contributor

Since I decide to sell my USD based ETF's in my TFIA, on 5 Sep, the value of all ETF's have dropped almost 4.5% in one month. Looking at the USD-ZAR graph, it seems a head and shoulder formation is in play, so I recon Rand is going to gain in the next month, resulting in further value loss of the USD based ETF's. So not yet time to buy USD ETF's.