Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit



Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.


A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Banking services for Foreign Nationals


Standard Bank understands that there are unique banking needs and challenges for foreign nationals, whether they are Temporary Residents or Non-Residents. Temporary Residents are individuals who are either; Diplomats, Asylum Seekers, Refugees or Common Monetary Area (Namibia, Swaziland and Lesotho) Residents, while Non Residents are those individuals who are either South Africans who have emigrated from South Africa or Foreign Nationals who reside outside of South Africa but have a banking needs within South Africa.


Temporary Residents have access to all the products and services that Standard Bank provides to South Africans, online or in our branches, while Non Residents have access to a Non Resident Centre which can assist with can assist with the service and maintenance of all accounts, the Non Resident Centre can be reached on +27 11 631 6543 or [email protected].. If you’re considering emigrating, we will assist to make sure that all your financial affairs are in order as well.


Requirements to open an account;

The law requires that before we open any account, that we request the necessary documentation from our clients, as such the required documents to open an account are;

  1. Temporary Residents & Diplomats
    • Passport
    • Visa or Permit
    • Proof of Residence
    • Foreign National Declaration Form (Provided in branch when you go to open an account.)
  2. Refugees
    • Refugee ID
    • UNCTD (Travel Document)
    • Proof of Residence
    • Foreign National Declaration Form
  3. Asylum Seeker
    • Passport or Asylum Seeker certificate
    • Proof of Residence
    • Foreign National Declaration Form
  4. CMA Resident
    • Passport
    • Proof of residence (CMA or SA)
  5. Non Resident & SA Emigrant
    • A valid Proof of Identity
    • Details of your primary residential address
    • Current; 3 months’ bank statement from previous countries bank, showing account activity
    • A signed certificate of introduction from previous countries bank, showing your personal details, with their name and contact number on the letter.

For credit accounts, additional documentation will be required as per the National Credit Act, this includes; Proof of Income, 3 months’ pay slip or statements and an employment contract.

For information on permits, you can contact South African Home Affairs.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎09-11-2017 03:29 PM
Updated by: