Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

17.00 what goes on at that time.

Not applicable
Why do some dastardly things happen at 17.00, when common mortals are not allowed to trade? A share can trade all day at a certain range of prices, but at 17.00 a sale, often a huge no. takes place at a higher or a lower price, giving a false reading for ruling price of the day. What goes on? Is it constitutional?
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the 5pm trade is the closing auction, all can partake in it.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
me thinks a news letter is in order.
0 Kudos
Skyhawk
Contributor
I agree,a newsletter will sort the issue for while until another newbie rock up!
0 Kudos
diaan
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, how do we partake through the medium of this trading platform?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
with an @market trade after 4.50pm
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply John, but I want Simon to spell out what we need to do as he always makes the statement that all can partake but does not spell out how! I am sure there is more to it than solely placing an at market order!
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
DON'T TRADE @MARKET - you can lose your shirt! Set a price you feel will be met either Bid/Offer!
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Nope thats it John is right, what more do you think there is to it? You place your order at market and you get the closing action price, you dont have to go in at market price but theres a very good chance your bid wont match.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
trading halts at 4.50. From them until 5pm you can place/cancel orders (buy or sell) and either @market or limit. During the ten minutes no trade matching happens, then at 5pm the system determines at what price the largest value trades - the trade is done (with multiple people on each side), and that is then the closing 5pm price. Really nothing clever or special.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
if you use a limit price will it still match if it is outside your limit?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
But if it's that simple where do the Illuminati fit in? You can't fool me with clever talk.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
thats not true, we fool you with clever talk all the time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, what happens if both bid and offer are @market - which takes precedence, bid or offer?
0 Kudos
Skyhawk
Contributor
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
John, if your Bid is at or higher than the price at which the system matches, you will be included in the match BUT only at the matching price. You will get the lower of your BID or the matching price. Thats why you sometimes see ridiculous BIDs of 10% higher than the last few trades, that way it is almost @ market but you know what you're in for.

The other Q of which sides @Market takes precedence, I believe it automatically goes with the one with the highest volume. So more @ Market BIDs then the system will match against the maximum offers it can get...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, only if it is within. @market increasses odds of matching. But at with no price control.
0 Kudos