Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2007 strategy for trading shares

akb
Frequent Contributor
lets hear yours-place it here.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
cfm
Super Contributor
Trade less. Hold longer. Make more.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Freak out maybe......only joking wuzup akb so quiet????
0 Kudos
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
This is a kick-ass strategy and mine for 2007 as well. I'm also going to try and diversify my portfolio more. Furthermore, I've decided to give Allan Gray a bigger chunk to play with.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Akb,i stick to the large caps(blue chips)and mid caps.I buy in sequence every year the similar shares.I buy between three to five months before the final results and usually sell just after the LDT date.The beauty of this simple system is it does'nt matter if the market is the market is rising or declining ,most shares that meet my criteria will always increase in price up to their finals.Oh by the way ,this is the way i've been trading over the last thirty five years and i do live off my share capital and income.
0 Kudos
Nick_1
Frequent Contributor
Barry, u dont mention it but Id assume u r doing it via instalments instead of the shares itself? Would be a mean kicker to your approach....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Re trading strategy, I dicovered some casual reading here: www.strategytesting.com
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
U are dead right,where i can get installments i take em!Unfortunately there are no installments in Goldreef,Rainbow or Astral.Of course PE ratios matter in industrials,financials,etc are a guide to what can be expected.Plats and other resources must usually be measured differently.I only speculate in golds with a maximum of 15% of my entire portfolios,where i'm less successful(warrants etc),but its such a great feeling to be correct sometimes ,makes one forget ones warrant losses!
0 Kudos
akb
Frequent Contributor
thanx for the replies-been quiet due to be out of country,returning on emergency basis and then landing myself at the gateway to life after death,escaped that one for now now as they return me home to keep u guys going-so guys i am back.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Trade less. Hold longer. Making more. That's working for me.
0 Kudos
GdM
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
actually, better advice is buy high and sell low... ie, buy strong performers and shares making new highs, and sell (and short) the underperformers that are low and headed lower. The worst thing you can do is sell your winners and buy a bunch of losers.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Tango, jy is so reg! It took me a while to comfortably buy on new highs (with a pull back)when a share is trending, but it works and it is a logical action. Good input!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't really have much of a plan - been accumulating ADW & DGC for the last three years.Will continue to do so as long as they continue to make great profits........
0 Kudos