Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2008 stockpicker challenge...reposted

topgun
Super Contributor
to separate the punters from the investors. The rules: 1) Select any 5 stocks that you think will either perform spectacularly well (+) or will collapse (-) during 2008 in any combination ie. either long and/or short any 5 shares. 2) The starting price is the closing price on 4 Jan' 2008 (although entries will be accepted until the 11th of Jan'2008 to give everybody returning from holiday a fair chance) and the end price is that prevailing at the close on 31 Dec'2008. 3) No changes are allowed (too complicated to monitor) so initial stock picks are valid for the entire period. 4) In order for everybody to derive some benefit from the exercise, why not add a line or two next to your pick motivating your choice. 5) Preferably select shares that you have in your portfolio ie. limited value to be gained from picking MKX, BEE etc. 6) Although no prize at the end, the winner's standing will no doubt rise amongst fellow forumites. 7) Any other suggestions welcome. ________________________________________ Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by CLE on 27 Dec 09:53 BSR, MRF, MTN (darlin' of the JSE), SOL (Couldn't decide between BIL...), WHL (everyone love Woolies, and she has loads of potential ;-) - AND BEG for a little gamble! Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 27 Dec 10:05 5 stocks - eliminate one please. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by CLE on 27 Dec 10:17 OK, lose the gamble ;-) Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 27 Dec 09:58 OK, here is my list: GND (i just like the business, with global shipping to china at a high, this could benefit); PGR (i think it will continue its amazing rise); WBO(should benefit from the construction boom in SA); MTN(africa is one of the fastest growing mobile communication areas); DAW(also construction; and it took a breather recently, positioning itself for recovery...) Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by gida on 27 Dec 12:21 MTN - got my BBBBEEEEE (Asonge) shares at +/- R61 so have almost doubled my money so far... JSE - this co makes money whether the market is up or down... (hasnt let me down so far) ACL - have always made a profit dealing in this share looks like it has potential MSM - cash business, and broadline (right word?)everytime i go to this place its damn full PPC - in a rush to complete 2010 construction this co can make money so long as we are building... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Italiano on 27 Dec 14:14 FOS(good fundamentles solid record),Resourses STXRES,BDM(steady), Altx - WRN and SAN cause we all gotta have construction? ps will back any pick Barry or Chartist nominate. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by MichaelR on 27 Dec 14:20 Bill because they can. Mtn is going to rule the world .Npn is the Granpa of MTN .Pick and Pay why not? Prosperous 2008 for Jse. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 27 Dec 14:25 topgun > how were you planning on monitoring the stock picks? Excel? we could compile such a document and create a webpage that we update the prices monthly, to see who is in the lead... what were your plans? Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 27 Dec 14:42 I was planning on creating an excel spreadsheet and maybe report the top 5 contestants on a quarterly basis - but a webpage with a monthly update would also be nice and be more transparent - can you do that - I stand to be corrected but you already have such a web facility? Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 27 Dec 14:48 Yes, i have hosting and a domain active, just need to create such a page. i thought the easiest might be to create a static webpage that is created from the excel document, e.g. save as HTML, and upload to web. It might be overkill to develop a webpage that has a database and dynamic calculations built in. We can make the webpage once we have the excel document compiled with the stock picks, unless you have any other suggestions? Re:Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 27 Dec 15:09 This sounds good...I will create a spreadsheet and capture the entries and forward this to you end Jan for display as a static webpage...manual is ok! Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 27 Dec 15:12 perfect, i will build the framework page so long. my email is [email protected]. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by asylum on 27 Dec 14:25 ACl steel demand is expected to outpace inflation for 2008, BIL if there is a demand for steel obvious choice one needs the iron ore, MTN, kIO, and Sol. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by MichaelR on 27 Dec 14:25 5th one HAR because of this forum , So lets see where we go for 2008. Bill Mtn Npn Pick and Pay Har Cheers Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Electrox on 27 Dec 15:23 1st place : Merafe 2nd place : Billiton 3rd " " : PPC 4th " " : Murry & Roberts 5th " " : Absa Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by messager on 27 Dec 18:19 1 DRD Gold on potential of dumps Joint Venture. 2. GFI on them getting operational issues sorted & gold price rising. 3. MTN on reaping fruits of expansion. 4. Ideco on the potential of this market. 5. Suhl on expansion plans. (All long) Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by JS2 on 27 Dec 19:07 For a period of a year with expected high comodity prices I'll go for ARI for platinum, gold and iron and KIO for coal. Next is DGC for the money saving tracking devices. SUL for the same reasons as mentioned by Messager. NED, yes, they might be suffering now but will do good as interest rates decline during the second half of next year. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Shaun Siddall on 27 Dec 20:44 1) Abil - nobody really knows the full extent of the deal in progress. 2) Mr Price - good forward projections (but might be a better two year hold in my portfolio). 3) Sasol - One of my above average performing shares this year, last year and hopefully next year. Fundamentally i cannot see anything else. 4) Aspen - everybody needs drugs. 5) Imuniti - Really im not joking, if she falls to below 10c im in again. Have yet to be burnt made a nice Christmas bonus. Currently not holding, was in at 6c out at 25c. Will be back in at anything below 10c for a BIG gamble over 12 months. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 27 Dec 21:16 Why not create a watchlist under your "my watchlist" of each contestants alias?That what i did when i ran a similar comp about four years ago.Any way when i decide which shares to take i'll also record them on my personal watchlist.Such competitions over a year are really too long as conditions change very quickly,requiring restructuring along the way.Anyway best of luck with your endevour! Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 28 Dec 07:50 Thx Barry. It is actually quite simple to create a basic spreadsheet with the details of all the participants which we will then post on Werner's website. This will be updated on a monthly basis. The idea of picking shares and holding them for one year is to get us to think about the environment and to try and anticipate its evolving dynamics. Real wealth is created by buying companies with above average potential and prospects not yet fully recognised by the market and holding them until it is reflected in the shareprice. The winning portfolio will most likely record a return of +50%. omo Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 28 Dec 09:24 topgun > i would like to email you an idea, please email me on [email protected] or provide your email address. thanks. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by nvest on 28 Dec 11:00 here's a suggestion: I will just marry you, and you can teach me all you know :-) Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Preston on 28 Dec 11:04 nvest. Did i mention my lucky number is 35. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 28 Dec 11:24 there must be a more beneficial way for you to acquire knowledge :) and ignore P, he's hooked up already! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by MichaelR on 28 Dec 12:29 1 Reason 2 " 3 " 4 " 5 " Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Preston on 28 Dec 12:32 I agree with you.MichealR Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Tribalzone on 28 Dec 13:38 SAB@18500, MRF@220, WHL@1500, IMU@12, ISA@35... Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Tribalzone on 28 Dec 13:39 oh and ILA... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by MIT on 28 Dec 17:58 Topgun, what will your choices be for your compo? Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 29 Dec 10:31 I have identified 9 stocks that match my criteria (all outside the top 40)....still deciding, but will post on Friday afternoon. Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 29 Dec 15:24 Most of the above shares look "tired" to me on the lists.My entries are complete,but as this a competition i don't want reveal too soon as there are so many copy-cats that are too lazy to do their own research.I'll just turn my watchlist down to zero on Friday evening.I've called my entries" My WILD CARD watchlist! Re:Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 29 Dec 15:36 Am i right that i've got till the 11 of Jan to reveal the names? Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 29 Dec 20:12 Yep Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by nvest on 31 Dec 09:30 Topgun> Thanx for all your comments on this forum, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful comments. Is there any way I can get in touch with you? Have a fantastic New Year! Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 31 Dec 10:04 [email protected] Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Maddog on 31 Dec 09:39 OK for what its worth here is my 5 cents worth MTX ( looking cheap at these levels) ISA ( will run with next div payout) SFH ( liitle gem waiting for lift off) ERB ( untapped potential and should follow other construction shares)WEA ( beck to 6 rand level early next year) Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Sim7 on 31 Dec 11:52 DRD, GFI, SIM - (expect rise in the price of gold), JSE, MTN - they on a high :) Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by DR on 31 Dec 11:58 Go to sharenet.co.za and follow the discussion under share chat. There is another school of thought and a whole following for DRD Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by juliette on 03 Jan 15:44 herewith my choices for the competition: ALM - a high growth company operating in the mining industry on a forward PE of 6.4x; SBG - an IT company with annuity income representing more than 50% of overall revenues on a forward PE of 8x; LEW - a share exposed to furniture credit retailing now on a forward PE of below 6x; MYD - a small niche pharmaceutical company gaining critical mass through the selective acquisition of additional agencies on a PE of 6.5x; and WEA, a supplier of aggregates and related materials to the construction industry with a solid outlook and a full order book on a PE of 10x. all in all, solid companies with great growth or recovery potential on low forward multiples. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by hot blooded on 03 Jan 17:19 NHM, PPC, FSR, RMH, and BIK Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 04 Jan 12:17 My selections: GDN: This small hotel and lodge operator in KZN is a value play at 90 cps, with net tangible assets of 74 cps and little gearing. GDN presents a nice entry into the tourism sector which is set for sustained growth over the medium-term, especially with the 2010 WC coming up. Based on expected earnings of 14.2cps to Feb'08 (a PE of 6.3x!)and a cover of 3x, a divi of 4.2cps should be declared which equates to a forward yield of 4.7%. GDN intends to add a new resort to its portfolio each year via acquisition. STO: This group which supplies analytical services for the precious metals exploration industry and are also active in fluid handling services and some manufacturing directed at the mining industry staged a remarkable recovery during the second half of 2007 after ridding itself of some disastrous and ill-conceived recent acquisitions. The balance sheet is now ungeared and at the prevailing 90cps, the rolling 12-month forward PE is estimated at 7.4x. The board rejected a takeover approach at this price last year. STO "anticipates meaningful real growth in HEPS" this year. ELR: This engineering outfit is probably one of the most neglected players in its field owing to the problems experienced in now disposed ELB Timbers which lost R42 m during the past 2 financial years. ELB Engineering Group is exceptionally well positioned to benefit from both the ongoing infrastructure spend in Southern Africa and Australia as well as the increase in capacities and efficiencies being implemented by the global resources and power industry sectors. Earnings of continuing operations grew by 98% last year. At 2000cps, the forward PE is estimated at 7.6x, a 35% discount to the market, while net cash comes to 413 cps. PPE: This fledging financial services group, headed by the entrepreneurial Mark Barnes is destined for great things this year as recent acquisition, Global Trader and new greenfields initiatives in the microlending and mortgage markets provide it with critical mass. The Global Trader acquisition, which expanded PPE's equity base to R370 m, in particular is expected to materially alter the earnings mix, providing an immediate and growing cash earnings base both in local and foreign currency. Other activities include treasury operations and private equity management. While the model has yet to prove itself, a historical PE of below 8x just seems too cheap for the excitement that could still follow, even allowing for the current adverse sentiment towards interest-rate sensitive stocks. PAN: This group with its diverse gold exploration portfolio is effectively a bet on a rising gold price as a hedge against inflation and a weaker US$. The recent acquisition of 74% of Barberton Mines provides the group with a production base and hence the ability to fund the ongoing organic growth in both its exploration and mining operations from internal resources. Gold exploration is currently occurring in Ghana, the Manica province in Mozambique and the Central African Republic. MTX has a 55% interest in PAN which provides it with access to the skills sets available in the larger group. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Tribalzone on 07 Jan 09:56 ... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Richie77 on 04 Jan 13:04 Bit rushed so i cant give my reasonings behind but i would love to be part of the spread sheet. Will follow up with my picks once i have a little time on my hands... 1. Aveng 2. ARB Distributors 3. Simeka 4. Don 5. Sinyati Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 11:59 Hello,...Here is my entry...ARQ,...GBG,...DMR,...MMH,...MTZ.....Now as i earn my living from larger companies ,u people might be wondering about my choices.Well with the rising interest rates ,GOOD VALUE with low PEs does not automatically mean now is the right time to buy,how ever even when the market conditions improve ,these shares usually move slowly upwards....Today i received my PPC dividend and it was very wellcome as things continue to tighten on the market. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 12:07 I turned my watchlist with my entry back to nought as entries as Monday morning is the starting day,how ever u can still submit your late entries till Friday with prices of Monday....The list of shares that i shall in the right circumstances replace those i now own for dividends can be seen under ITE. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 05 Jan 12:32 I am going to use closing prices on the 11th as the starting price as well as the cutoff for entry to give everybody the same odds. The market didn't have enough depth yesterday and some prices are artificial. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 13:37 Good idea,samefor everyone is best! Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 13:40 but err dont buy this week MMH,MTZ,GBG ETC ,have been holding awhile and prefer prices to run up week after next!!!!!!!! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by nvest on 05 Jan 16:09 Petmin:excellent buy at R3,95, and good earnings growth expected. Huge: as the name suggests,should do well, acquisitions of Centracell and iTalk cellular last year. UCS: at R4,36 - good buy according to stochastic. Esor and Basil Read because demand for construction and related services remain at a record peak. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 05 Jan 18:19 so noted...thanks nvest! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by SKALA on 05 Jan 22:01 Topgun, my entries are: ARI, GND, BLU, JBL, SNU. Thanks for your effort. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 06 Jan 10:48 Another GND fan, i'm impressed. What is your views on GND, i hold it for some time in my long term portfolio and believe this is a very good long term investment as long as the global commodity boom is active and shipping is going well, which china seems to be promoting... I also buy some SSF's at certain times... Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 06 Jan 11:43 Forgive me for replying as well,as u are asking SKALA,i'de also like to hear his opinion.I'm slightly disappointed this year as i'm minus 10% at the moment on my turbo.I think its because directors keep selling shares.Still in the long term i stil have hopes of great success.See my veiws which hav'nt changed at all under share discussion,here's hoping it will run up to the LDT and we mus'nt forget we are in a reversal and all major shares are suffering! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 06 Jan 14:33 Go to today :-...www.psg.co.za and see that they are are positive on Grinrod and with their WEN system are bullish on GBG and ELB. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Ditzy on 06 Jan 15:40 Hey Barry, how you doing ? Just wanted to tell you this. Last year around this time i got myself a few ARQ for my bday. This was on the strength of you having alerted the forum to the share and me doing my bit or research. So, thank you ! Actually, canadians are great at running resources, so i'm also looking at getting into GBG, even if both are less liquid than i am usually comfie with. DMR and MMH I have looked at in the past and have lost patience with them but it looks like MTZ could have break this year. Stay well, and regards to you and to Naomi. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 06 Jan 17:22 Like i said, i really like GND and also believe that this one will perform well over the long term, and this could be reason to accumilate... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by org on 06 Jan 14:42 I wil only short stocks at this stage.KIO looks like a good short.GO TO www.gold-eagle.com , click on technical analysis box.also see www.white-history.com
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
topgun
Super Contributor
Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 28 Dec 11:24 there must be a more beneficial way for you to acquire knowledge :) and ignore P, he's hooked up already! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by MichaelR on 28 Dec 12:29 1 Reason 2 " 3 " 4 " 5 " Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Preston on 28 Dec 12:32 I agree with you.MichealR Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Tribalzone on 28 Dec 13:38 SAB@18500, MRF@220, WHL@1500, IMU@12, ISA@35... Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Tribalzone on 28 Dec 13:39 oh and ILA... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by MIT on 28 Dec 17:58 Topgun, what will your choices be for your compo? Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 29 Dec 10:31 I have identified 9 stocks that match my criteria (all outside the top 40)....still deciding, but will post on Friday afternoon. Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 29 Dec 15:24 Most of the above shares look "tired" to me on the lists.My entries are complete,but as this a competition i don't want reveal too soon as there are so many copy-cats that are too lazy to do their own research.I'll just turn my watchlist down to zero on Friday evening.I've called my entries" My WILD CARD watchlist! Re:Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 29 Dec 15:36 Am i right that i've got till the 11 of Jan to reveal the names? Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 29 Dec 20:12 Yep Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by nvest on 31 Dec 09:30 Topgun> Thanx for all your comments on this forum, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful comments. Is there any way I can get in touch with you? Have a fantastic New Year! Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 31 Dec 10:04 [email protected] Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Maddog on 31 Dec 09:39 OK for what its worth here is my 5 cents worth MTX ( looking cheap at these levels) ISA ( will run with next div payout) SFH ( liitle gem waiting for lift off) ERB ( untapped potential and should follow other construction shares)WEA ( beck to 6 rand level early next year) Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Sim7 on 31 Dec 11:52 DRD, GFI, SIM - (expect rise in the price of gold), JSE, MTN - they on a high :) Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by DR on 31 Dec 11:58 Go to sharenet.co.za and follow the discussion under share chat. There is another school of thought and a whole following for DRD Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by juliette on 03 Jan 15:44 herewith my choices for the competition: ALM - a high growth company operating in the mining industry on a forward PE of 6.4x; SBG - an IT company with annuity income representing more than 50% of overall revenues on a forward PE of 8x; LEW - a share exposed to furniture credit retailing now on a forward PE of below 6x; MYD - a small niche pharmaceutical company gaining critical mass through the selective acquisition of additional agencies on a PE of 6.5x; and WEA, a supplier of aggregates and related materials to the construction industry with a solid outlook and a full order book on a PE of 10x. all in all, solid companies with great growth or recovery potential on low forward multiples. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by hot blooded on 03 Jan 17:19 NHM, PPC, FSR, RMH, and BIK Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 04 Jan 12:17 My selections: GDN: This small hotel and lodge operator in KZN is a value play at 90 cps, with net tangible assets of 74 cps and little gearing. GDN presents a nice entry into the tourism sector which is set for sustained growth over the medium-term, especially with the 2010 WC coming up. Based on expected earnings of 14.2cps to Feb'08 (a PE of 6.3x!)and a cover of 3x, a divi of 4.2cps should be declared which equates to a forward yield of 4.7%. GDN intends to add a new resort to its portfolio each year via acquisition. STO: This group which supplies analytical services for the precious metals exploration industry and are also active in fluid handling services and some manufacturing directed at the mining industry staged a remarkable recovery during the second half of 2007 after ridding itself of some disastrous and ill-conceived recent acquisitions. The balance sheet is now ungeared and at the prevailing 90cps, the rolling 12-month forward PE is estimated at 7.4x. The board rejected a takeover approach at this price last year. STO "anticipates meaningful real growth in HEPS" this year. ELR: This engineering outfit is probably one of the most neglected players in its field owing to the problems experienced in now disposed ELB Timbers which lost R42 m during the past 2 financial years. ELB Engineering Group is exceptionally well positioned to benefit from both the ongoing infrastructure spend in Southern Africa and Australia as well as the increase in capacities and efficiencies being implemented by the global resources and power industry sectors. Earnings of continuing operations grew by 98% last year. At 2000cps, the forward PE is estimated at 7.6x, a 35% discount to the market, while net cash comes to 413 cps. PPE: This fledging financial services group, headed by the entrepreneurial Mark Barnes is destined for great things this year as recent acquisition, Global Trader and new greenfields initiatives in the microlending and mortgage markets provide it with critical mass. The Global Trader acquisition, which expanded PPE's equity base to R370 m, in particular is expected to materially alter the earnings mix, providing an immediate and growing cash earnings base both in local and foreign currency. Other activities include treasury operations and private equity management. While the model has yet to prove itself, a historical PE of below 8x just seems too cheap for the excitement that could still follow, even allowing for the current adverse sentiment towards interest-rate sensitive stocks. PAN: This group with its diverse gold exploration portfolio is effectively a bet on a rising gold price as a hedge against inflation and a weaker US$. The recent acquisition of 74% of Barberton Mines provides the group with a production base and hence the ability to fund the ongoing organic growth in both its exploration and mining operations from internal resources. Gold exploration is currently occurring in Ghana, the Manica province in Mozambique and the Central African Republic. MTX has a 55% interest in PAN which provides it with access to the skills sets available in the larger group. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Tribalzone on 07 Jan 09:56 ... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Richie77 on 04 Jan 13:04 Bit rushed so i cant give my reasonings behind but i would love to be part of the spread sheet. Will follow up with my picks once i have a little time on my hands... 1. Aveng 2. ARB Distributors 3. Simeka 4. Don 5. Sinyati Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 11:59 Hello,...Here is my entry...ARQ,...GBG,...DMR,...MMH,...MTZ.....Now as i earn my living from larger companies ,u people might be wondering about my choices.Well with the rising interest rates ,GOOD VALUE with low PEs does not automatically mean now is the right time to buy,how ever even when the market conditions improve ,these shares usually move slowly upwards....Today i received my PPC dividend and it was very wellcome as things continue to tighten on the market. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 12:07 I turned my watchlist with my entry back to nought as entries as Monday morning is the starting day,how ever u can still submit your late entries till Friday with prices of Monday....The list of shares that i shall in the right circumstances replace those i now own for dividends can be seen under ITE. Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 05 Jan 12:32 I am going to use closing prices on the 11th as the starting price as well as the cutoff for entry to give everybody the same odds. The market didn't have enough depth yesterday and some prices are artificial. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 13:37 Good idea,samefor everyone is best! Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 05 Jan 13:40 but err dont buy this week MMH,MTZ,GBG ETC ,have been holding awhile and prefer prices to run up week after next!!!!!!!! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by nvest on 05 Jan 16:09 Petmin:excellent buy at R3,95, and good earnings growth expected. Huge: as the name suggests,should do well, acquisitions of Centracell and iTalk cellular last year. UCS: at R4,36 - good buy according to stochastic. Esor and Basil Read because demand for construction and related services remain at a record peak. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by topgun on 05 Jan 18:19 so noted...thanks nvest! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by SKALA on 05 Jan 22:01 Topgun, my entries are: ARI, GND, BLU, JBL, SNU. Thanks for your effort. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 06 Jan 10:48 Another GND fan, i'm impressed. What is your views on GND, i hold it for some time in my long term portfolio and believe this is a very good long term investment as long as the global commodity boom is active and shipping is going well, which china seems to be promoting... I also buy some SSF's at certain times... Re:Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 06 Jan 11:43 Forgive me for replying as well,as u are asking SKALA,i'de also like to hear his opinion.I'm slightly disappointed this year as i'm minus 10% at the moment on my turbo.I think its because directors keep selling shares.Still in the long term i stil have hopes of great success.See my veiws which hav'nt changed at all under share discussion,here's hoping it will run up to the LDT and we mus'nt forget we are in a reversal and all major shares are suffering! Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by barry on 06 Jan 14:33 Go to today :-...www.psg.co.za and see that they are are positive on Grinrod and with their WEN system are bullish on GBG and ELB. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Ditzy on 06 Jan 15:40 Hey Barry, how you doing ? Just wanted to tell you this. Last year around this time i got myself a few ARQ for my bday. This was on the strength of you having alerted the forum to the share and me doing my bit or research. So, thank you ! Actually, canadians are great at running resources, so i'm also looking at getting into GBG, even if both are less liquid than i am usually comfie with. DMR and MMH I have looked at in the past and have lost patience with them but it looks like MTZ could have break this year. Stay well, and regards to you and to Naomi. Re:Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by Werner on 06 Jan 17:22 Like i said, i really like GND and also believe that this one will perform well over the long term, and this could be reason to accumilate... Re:2008 stockpicker challenge..... by org on 06 Jan 14:42 I wil only short stocks at this stage.KIO looks like a good short.GO TO www.gold-eagle.com , click on technical analysis box.also see www.white-history.com
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
Sorry, MRF,SKY,PAN,ADW SHOULD BE FROM sk.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
I need five (5) picks from each of you.
0 Kudos
WBuffet
Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I restate my entry....ARQ...DMR...GBG...MMH...MTZ. As i understand it now the starting date for the actual competition will now be the 11 of January as last Fridays prices were wrong? ...I shall bring my watchlist down to nought on that evening.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Ditzy,Thanks for your reply,its only just caught my eye now.First of all ,the very best for u and your family for the new year.From experience i've learnt that small caps in gold are the best when the metal rises as dividends from this source are for ever unlikely to occur.Naomi has returned to estate agency work and left the shares to me once more.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
yebo yesss....this Friday's closing prices (the 11th) will be the start of the challenge. I must also mention that all divi's will be included in the final return calculations to 31 Dec'08.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi all. PPC, ADW, MTN, MRF, AGL.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Hi all. My picks for the year are MRF, BIL, MTN, VOX, and HAR. Good luck to everyone playing.
0 Kudos
Ditzy
Frequent Contributor
Geez! the posting did go a bit awry, huh? Thanks for the good wishes and all the very best to you and yours. I have started to dabble in property myself, need to diversify a bit ;-)
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
HLM..ILV..INP..WHL..TRT All shares that in my view have been punished to harshly and have now paid their debt and are ready for a comeback,even though i feel we are in for a tough year,i feel these shares will fare better than others in their sector....well done to the initiator.........simba
0 Kudos
schizo
Frequent Contributor
ddt,enl,rlo,asa,ntc - random picks, except enl- new factory should be up and running soon- huge potential
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
Sorry! here are my 5! ADW.STO,RBA,BEG,HAR
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
And me too! SFH,MRF,ASO,JSC,JSE. Hey SK dont laugh! I's going to wip your @@s!
0 Kudos