Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2008 stockpicker challenge.....

topgun
Super Contributor
to separate the punters from the investors. The rules: 1) Select any 5 stocks that you think will either perform spectacularly well (+) or will collapse (-) during 2008 in any combination ie. either long and/or short any 5 shares. 2) The starting price is the closing price on 4 Jan' 2008 (although entries will be accepted until the 11th of Jan'2008 to give everybody returning from holiday a fair chance) and the end price is that prevailing at the close on 31 Dec'2008. 3) No changes are allowed (too complicated to monitor) so initial stock picks are valid for the entire period. 4) In order for everybody to derive some benefit from the exercise, why not add a line or two next to your pick motivating your choice. 5) Preferably select shares that you have in your portfolio ie. limited value to be gained from picking MKX, BEE etc. 6) Although no prize at the end, the winner's standing will no doubt rise amongst fellow forumites. 7) Any other suggestions welcome.
0 Kudos
57 REPLIES 57
Not applicable
BSR, MRF, MTN (darlin' of the JSE), SOL (Couldn't decide between BIL...), WHL (everyone love Woolies, and she has loads of potential ;-) - AND BEG for a little gamble!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
OK, here is my list: GND (i just like the business, with global shipping to china at a high, this could benefit); PGR (i think it will continue its amazing rise); WBO(should benefit from the construction boom in SA); MTN(africa is one of the fastest growing mobile communication areas); DAW(also construction; and it took a breather recently, positioning itself for recovery...)
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
5 stocks - eliminate one please.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
gida
Contributor
MTN - got my BBBBEEEEE (Asonge) shares at +/- R61 so have almost doubled my money so far... JSE - this co makes money whether the market is up or down... (hasnt let me down so far) ACL - have always made a profit dealing in this share looks like it has potential MSM - cash business, and broadline (right word?)everytime i go to this place its damn full PPC - in a rush to complete 2010 construction this co can make money so long as we are building...
0 Kudos
Italiano
Occasional Contributor
FOS(good fundamentles solid record),Resourses STXRES,BDM(steady), Altx - WRN and SAN cause we all gotta have construction? ps will back any pick Barry or Chartist nominate.
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
Bill because they can. Mtn is going to rule the world .Npn is the Granpa of MTN .Pick and Pay why not? Prosperous 2008 for Jse.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
topgun > how were you planning on monitoring the stock picks? Excel? we could compile such a document and create a webpage that we update the prices monthly, to see who is in the lead... what were your plans?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
ACl steel demand is expected to outpace inflation for 2008, BIL if there is a demand for steel obvious choice one needs the iron ore, MTN, kIO, and Sol.
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
5th one HAR because of this forum , So lets see where we go for 2008. Bill Mtn Npn Pick and Pay Har Cheers
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
I was planning on creating an excel spreadsheet and maybe report the top 5 contestants on a quarterly basis - but a webpage with a monthly update would also be nice and be more transparent - can you do that - I stand to be corrected but you already have such a web facility?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, i have hosting and a domain active, just need to create such a page. i thought the easiest might be to create a static webpage that is created from the excel document, e.g. save as HTML, and upload to web. It might be overkill to develop a webpage that has a database and dynamic calculations built in. We can make the webpage once we have the excel document compiled with the stock picks, unless you have any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
This sounds good...I will create a spreadsheet and capture the entries and forward this to you end Jan for display as a static webpage...manual is ok!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
perfect, i will build the framework page so long. my email is [email protected].
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
1st place : Merafe 2nd place : Billiton 3rd " " : PPC 4th " " : Murry & Roberts 5th " " : Absa
0 Kudos
messager
Contributor
1 DRD Gold on potential of dumps Joint Venture. 2. GFI on them getting operational issues sorted & gold price rising. 3. MTN on reaping fruits of expansion. 4. Ideco on the potential of this market. 5. Suhl on expansion plans. (All long)
0 Kudos
JS2
Occasional Contributor
For a period of a year with expected high comodity prices I'll go for ARI for platinum, gold and iron and KIO for coal. Next is DGC for the money saving tracking devices. SUL for the same reasons as mentioned by Messager. NED, yes, they might be suffering now but will do good as interest rates decline during the second half of next year.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
1) Abil - nobody really knows the full extent of the deal in progress. 2) Mr Price - good forward projections (but might be a better two year hold in my portfolio). 3) Sasol - One of my above average performing shares this year, last year and hopefully next year. Fundamentally i cannot see anything else. 4) Aspen - everybody needs drugs. 5) Imuniti - Really im not joking, if she falls to below 10c im in again. Have yet to be burnt made a nice Christmas bonus. Currently not holding, was in at 6c out at 25c. Will be back in at anything below 10c for a BIG gamble over 12 months.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Why not create a watchlist under your "my watchlist" of each contestants alias?That what i did when i ran a similar comp about four years ago.Any way when i decide which shares to take i'll also record them on my personal watchlist.Such competitions over a year are really too long as conditions change very quickly,requiring restructuring along the way.Anyway best of luck with your endevour!
0 Kudos