Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2008 stockpicker challenge.....

topgun
Super Contributor
Thx Barry. It is actually quite simple to create a basic spreadsheet with the details of all the participants which we will then post on Werner's website. This will be updated on a monthly basis. The idea of picking shares and holding them for one year is to get us to think about the environment and to try and anticipate its evolving dynamics. Real wealth is created by buying companies with above average potential and prospects not yet fully recognised by the market and holding them until it is reflected in the shareprice. The winning portfolio will most likely record a return of +50%. omo
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
topgun > i would like to email you an idea, please email me on [email protected] or provide your email address. thanks.
0 Kudos
nvest
Occasional Contributor
here's a suggestion: I will just marry you, and you can teach me all you know :-)
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
nvest. Did i mention my lucky number is 35.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
there must be a more beneficial way for you to acquire knowledge :) and ignore P, he's hooked up already!
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
1 Reason 2 " 3 " 4 " 5 "
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I agree with you.MichealR
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SAB@18500, MRF@220, WHL@1500, IMU@12, ISA@35...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Topgun, what will your choices be for your compo?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
I have identified 9 stocks that match my criteria (all outside the top 40)....still deciding, but will post on Friday afternoon.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Most of the above shares look "tired" to me on the lists.My entries are complete,but as this a competition i don't want reveal too soon as there are so many copy-cats that are too lazy to do their own research.I'll just turn my watchlist down to zero on Friday evening.I've called my entries" My WILD CARD watchlist!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Am i right that i've got till the 11 of Jan to reveal the names?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
nvest
Occasional Contributor
Topgun> Thanx for all your comments on this forum, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful comments. Is there any way I can get in touch with you? Have a fantastic New Year!
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
OK for what its worth here is my 5 cents worth MTX ( looking cheap at these levels) ISA ( will run with next div payout) SFH ( liitle gem waiting for lift off) ERB ( untapped potential and should follow other construction shares)WEA ( beck to 6 rand level early next year)
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Sim7
New Contributor
DRD, GFI, SIM - (expect rise in the price of gold), JSE, MTN - they on a high :)
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
Go to sharenet.co.za and follow the discussion under share chat. There is another school of thought and a whole following for DRD
0 Kudos
juliette
Occasional Contributor
herewith my choices for the competition: ALM - a high growth company operating in the mining industry on a forward PE of 6.4x; SBG - an IT company with annuity income representing more than 50% of overall revenues on a forward PE of 8x; LEW - a share exposed to furniture credit retailing now on a forward PE of below 6x; MYD - a small niche pharmaceutical company gaining critical mass through the selective acquisition of additional agencies on a PE of 6.5x; and WEA, a supplier of aggregates and related materials to the construction industry with a solid outlook and a full order book on a PE of 10x. all in all, solid companies with great growth or recovery potential on low forward multiples.
0 Kudos