Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

2010 Myfund Share Challenge

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Dear all, I hope everyone is well and that we can put the recession of 2008/9 behind us and grab all the opportunities 2010 has to offer. The myfund challenge is one of those opportunies, where you can show all fellow formites your superior abilities in selecting market outperforming stocks for 2010. As a fund manager selects his basket of shares for his fund each formite will be required to submit 10 shares that s/he believes will win! In the spirit of things a small entry fee will be charged - which will be completely distributed as prizes - If everyone supports this the prizes will be substantial - and will promote a very competative enviroment. So take some time in researching and submit your selection! check out all details at www.danvesco.webege.com
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Thanks Werner, will check it out and enter! Appreciate all the work you put into this! All the best for 2010!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Guys, this year's challenge is not that much from myself but my friend whose website that is, he should be accredited for the new and improved challenge!!!
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
thank you werner, Its alot of work that goes into the challenge lets hope it gets supported!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Werner 1 year is way to short for a fundamental time line..and to long for a technical time frame..also if you can't buy and sell there is no way of "managing the money" I see no point in this what so ever..I will use a dart and will come in the top half...what does that prove.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
There has to be a winner no penny stocks are allowed only top150 if you read the guidelines on the site the selection of ten stocks makes it slightly less difficult for dart board mentality -because it makes it pretty diversified
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Not really sure what this website is primarily about. Apologies for my ignorance.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
at the momement just about the challenge
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Sounds like this years challenge is substantially different from the previous ones, what's the deadline?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Good work Werner. I thought last year's competition was great and I am happy that it will be continued, although in a different format. I feel however that 10 shares is too many and would rather stay with 5 shares.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
The info tells me that here is a wannabee fund manager that aspires to correspond and obtain the names and e-mails of some active traders/investors on the JSE! - sorry guys I cant interpret it diffirently. Amen.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Warhippo - interpret it as you wish, the challenge has been running for 2 years now, and such unhandedness has not been the experience. Its just for fun. I don't really understand the thinking in changing it to a 10 stocks pnly and removing the option of choosing smallcaps?
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
Werner and I discussed the possibility of spreading the competition over 3 years? and having an annual prize then a grand prize after 3 years, this will allow fundamentals to kick in, keeping the selection at 10 or at 5?? whats the forums veiw on this?? John i remember you mentioned about the margerita challenge i can add that if you want its not to difficult to add a photo gallery?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
sure nice idea about the photos.. I dont think time make a diffrence if you cant manage the trades in any way...
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
i don't think a 3 year paper trading competition is going to interest many people unless there's a substantial prize at the end. i'm already losing interest in the fantasy premiere league and it's not even half way through. the reason the sanlam (trading) competition is so successful is because there's real money involved and it's over a short time period. also, you get to manage your trades as john has pointed out. buy and hold or value investing doesnt really excite the masses in quite the same way unfortunately. if you could run a hedge fund competition in which long and short trading as well as multiple porfolio repositions a month were allowed i think you'd get far more interest. also, then we could atleast compare what is actually possible in terms of the trading / investing strategies out there. buy and hold doesn't suit everyones personality type unfortunately.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
hey doom, you make a valid point, but the last competiton just under 200 people entered we are will be charging an enterance fee this year which will be completely distributed as prizes its R120 per entry, equates to R10/ month... over a three year period the prizes will get quite substantial(we hope) we are very open to suggestions, but ofcorse we cant please everyone
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
Hey John, your very own page -- just put some random pictures to show you how it will look, but you can see if you like it this way and maybe market it a bit: http://www.danvesco.webege.com/index.php?p=1_7
0 Kudos