Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

3000 Sanlam shares

Not applicable
Im a new investor,and i have 3000 sanlam shares to play around with. can anybody maybe give me some good advice how to play around with them?
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Not applicable
how much you pay for them?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
not a cent,but i cant just sell them,i have to play with them. recieved it from my father in law,and then we are going to split the profit i make on it
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
You can't sell them? You have to play with them? Phone Sanlam and ask if they can make an exception and issue share certificates. You could then make paper airplanes or do decoupage. Even origami.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
if you sell all 3000 now you will make +-R58 000
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i wasnt looking for sarcasm the reason i dont just want to sell them and take the cash,is because its given to me to learn,i am going to trade them and so forth,but this is just a learning curve for me
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
There are some lessons that are very painful and playing in the market at the moment will teach you something i.e. dont go playing in the market unless you can afford to lose R58,000
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
it does sound odd Wilco, because you can't play with them, you have to hold it or sell it and play with the cash. Granted, you could make paper jets whne it's in cash but that's not what I mean.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just hold on to them,and pray that Sanlam performs
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sell them and buy somthing else
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
How are you going to trade them if you can't sell them?
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Sanlam is not a bad share and if you are a genuine investor then I would see nothing wrong in holding them for potential upside-they are relatively cheap at moment.I suspect you want to play and your questions suggest you want to be a trader ie buy and sell often and turn your initial investment into a higher value.Good luck there as there are many traders who fall short on this through greed and fear-there are a minority who do very well and they all develop an approach normally based on T A .Suggest you do a bit of studying-some courses are available from standard bank and some books available to read.Then play your game and find out if you are any good and whether you have the character to handle it-I cannot so I stick to boring old fundamentals.good luck.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Sanlam is not a bad share and if you are a genuine investor then I would see nothing wrong in holding them for potential upside-they are relatively cheap at moment.I suspect you want to play and your questions suggest you want to be a trader ie buy and sell often and turn your initial investment into a higher value.Good luck there as there are many traders who fall short on this through greed and fear-there are a minority who do very well and they all develop an approach normally based on T A .Suggest you do a bit of studying-some courses are available from standard bank and some books available to read.Then play your game and find out if you are any good and whether you have the character to handle it-I cannot so I stick to boring old fundamentals.good luck.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Wilco, you ask the funniest questions... Just hold onto those shares for now and do some more studying, e.g. read all of the educational material on this site. The forum is great to get ideas, but don't expect people to tell you exactly what to do. Once you've studied enough, you'll know what sort of system you would like to use - one of or a combination of fundamental and technical analysis; and what instruments you would like to use - shares, SSFs, instalments or warrants. Then sell some proportion of your Sanlam shares and start trading.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Shares are an asset just like your house(if u have one). The only thing that is `playing' on the assets is their valuation over a period of time. If that valuation is not attractive to u then u have to switch to another asset of the same class i.e shares or different type of class eg. Cash that will earn u certain interest or house, bonds ect.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
You're probably best off keeping the shares for now while you read up on investing and trading strategies. Once you're confident that you're ready to invest or trade then do so. Doing NOTHING for now is an appropriate strategy.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Lets hope he learns quickly as OML and SLM are both on downward moving trends!
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Diversify - hold some and spread the balance around in different sectors
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
Hi Wilco, don't stress about the guys on the Forum, we're actually a good group and we have a laugh at eachother. Wilco I think you should do some research on Trading, you cannot play with shares. When people say they "Play" it means that you sell when it's high and buy when it's low. You would have to sell them to make a profit, but then you can buy into other companies. Keep your money in the market is what you actually mean by not withdrawing the funds. Get the price history and Price chart for Sanlam look at the 15 and 30 day MA's (Moving Averages) and read up on their SENS news, decide weather you want to HOLD onto your Shares or sell them and buy into other companies, but just remember that the brokerage is a killer if your only trading with +/-R60K. Good luck and use the Forum....it's made me some good money from good advice.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
Wilco if you want to play leave your Sanlam shares alone and take a ficticional 100k and use the watchlist on ths site and select a portfolio of shares and monitor those without the risk of losing any money, as eveybody has said study everything and do your own research.Do not , i repeat do not aceed to the urge to go live until you have played with your watchlist for a good year, many if not all traders on this site will tell you that the initial school fees can be very expensive. However if you really want to play take your golf clubs and go to the golf course. This market respects nobody and will spit you out very quickly and you will leave with your tail between your legs. You sound quite young so you have may years ahead of you, use that time wisely and you will make very good money over the long term.Therefore take your time.
0 Kudos