Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

3G ISP

Herms
Contributor
Hi there. I would like to know what you guys believe to be the best (and cheapest) wireless internet service provider? Any views would be appreciated!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Douw
Frequent Contributor
If you have a spare cellphone with 3G, work directly through MTN with prepaid data package and PAYG. You have total control and no contract that eats your money during low data consuption periods.
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
You can do the exact same thing with Vodacom i.e. use a second prepaid SIM for your 3G (modem / phone) and load pre-paid data bundles on it. Then you can only use what you've loaded on it. I think Vodacom has a better network but then I'm biased.
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I have both Vodacom and MTN sims and found them very similar in performance and cost. MTN achieved very high speeds lately, up to 1.5 meg on speedtest.net, but it probably depends through which tower you connect.
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
You are correct that it depends very much on the tower you connect to. E.g. how fast can the tower talk to your phone / modem, how fast can the tower talk to the rest of the network and how many people are using that tower at the same time.
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
All Mobile operators are making a packet off us.I got no loyalty to mobile operators, I move as soon as a cheaper bundle becomes available and this will happen more regularly from after world cup. PS. Sorry, that was : fifa WORLD CUP.
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I fully agree and also feel nothing for them. The direct MTN and Vodacom 3G services are however valuable especially for website maintenance because they do not cache pages like ADSL and the fly-by-night 3G ISPS. You always get a fresh copy of the website being loaded.
0 Kudos