Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

5 year stock

Not applicable
Just woundering, if you had to keep 3 share over 5 years which would it be? ( if no buy outs looking at ELD, WEZ , SIM ) your views?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely for 5 years you want nice safe stuff, not high speculation that could go pop in 5 hours, never mind years.

I would probably pick; BIL, RCH and GND (risk is rand strength more then anything else) with my alternate being MTN because I am starting to like MTN (ya ya very late to the party, but all the best parties get going very very late).
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
SOL (yes, broken record, I know), GND, and GFI.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
GFI on a buy and Hold. pa ha ha hah! one of us is going to eat crow now!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Thought that would bring you outta the woodwork. Just looking for a bit of attention ;)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I Love doing that, fishing for a comment from one or other forum members. How is the forum queen on this Fine rainy day!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Not as good as Ditzy with her tantric harem addition! (Glaring at a slothful, beer drinking Gravy as he hums along to Motorhead on his earphones.)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL! I can see how that can really hurt!
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
tantric (adj)
woman prone to or engages in tantrum. Occasionally unpredictable.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Exactly how do you train ( and Qualify) as a tantric instuctor do you think, all this time I have been looking for something to study since I left school....I think I found it.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
. . . and you're puzzled as to why Mrs DST glares at YOU. . .
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
bleary eyed while she doubles over in fits of laughter.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Ja its a bit like the difference between technicals and fundamentals.
I mean, if someone grabbed your tie and led you upstairs for a tantric would you

a) meekly go along with it
b) sling her over your shoulder and race to the couch, or
c) be true to tantricks and say "not so fast, honey-pie"
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
its funny how the very things that you like in the person when you first met are the things that drive you nuts later.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yip. I was under the impression that the 22 year old bane-head, metal listening, no-goodnik, would mature into a responsible citizen. All I got was a 40 year old bane-head, metal listening, no-goodnik. Buy and hold - makes you think does it not?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Sheesh Grave, another shareholder who has enjoyed many years of dividends and lost sight of the total return picture!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Other way round, its the total return picture she seeing its the div's she is forgetting about.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
GND, i am not sure about. Core business is/was shipping as i know. At moment there are so many new ships being built driven by speculation and demand for commidities from china. Now the orders have declined, market has been hot for the last couple years, not driven purely by demand but also by rule changes that came into effect this year, these have finacial implications on cost of ships. Owners ordered a lot and sold them off to others (GND made some money from this)... but on the other hand the charter rates a declining as all these ships start looking for work... Short term (2 o 3 years) shipping ain't going to be so hot so be careful of GND...OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In the history of gold mining cos all small cos that have started to show a profit have been bought out by the majors. This means the majors make money out of them and us small shareholders who got them going in the first place, lose out in the long term, even though we might have made 12x our investment in 2 years. If and when SIM starts showing a profit, don't be surprised if there is a buy out. And don't settle for anything less than 3x its share price at the time of the buyout, yes, you heard, not 30 or even 50% more, but 300% more!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
3x would be sweet, but ain't ever going to happen at that level. They could buy on the open market cheaper and a majority would be more then happy with a risk free 30% or so.
0 Kudos