Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

50% cash

Not applicable
recently got huge lump sum and move it into my account am now sitting with 50% cash, what can i buy?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
samoa
Super Contributor
If you buy Nkandla a huge problem will be solved.You could also consider KIO.Then a smaller problem will be solved. I have no knowledge of a shower installed in Nkandla. The architect leave it out with malicious intentions? Not interested in buying a shower? Wait till 15 June, then buy Satrix40.
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Don't buy just for the sake of buying something, make sure your decision is soundly based and use a stop loss, so that when you get it wrong your pain is limited.
0 Kudos
Chopchop
Contributor
I'm in the same situation, but mine is not that huge, just a bit. I'm going with some platinum ETF's for now, because the general feeling seems to be that the market is a bit overvalued at the moment and that seems like a pretty safe bet for protecting capital. Other shares on my buy list are SBK, RLF, HDC and DSY (if you looking for shares to research)
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Instead of standing around like kids in a sweet shop asking "what can I buy?"( answer: "anything" or "how quickly do you want to get sick?") rather answer the question posed: what am I trying to achieve? If you horizon is a week then there will be one answer - if 10 years there will be another( likely. One thing I have learnt if you don't have a plan that stacks up to scrutiny - kiss your money goodbye!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wait for a pullbuck
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
it depends on how big the lump sum is ...10mill, 20mil....50 mill???
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and hope market doesn't go 15% higher before 10% pull back leaving it higher than now .. what's big picture strategy for your investing, how do you select, what meets criteria ?? buy those that do
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Have to agree with partridge - You need a long term plan. What do you want to achieve over what period ?
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Buy unit trust endowments. In that way you get diversification, tax advantage, estate planning (with the funds you talking about) and reasonable return at lower fee structure. If you want to talk more, we can talk
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
it's a while since we've seen an endowment salesman on here. Do people actually still buy them?
0 Kudos