Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A Dismal performance......

barry_1
Super Contributor
....from ordinary commercial banks can be seen from my watch lists.The capital gain and loss is as follows.Since the15/12/05 ASA has a gain of 0.3%!!!; NED a gain of 2.7% and FSR a loss of -12% ...SBK from 25/5/06 has a gain of 19%......OVER a shorter period on another watchlist on 21/11/07 ASA shows a loss of-21%;FSR a loss of 30%;NED a loss of -19% and SBK a loss of-16%....I only give these figures as it s beginning to irk me that newbies keep asking when banks are going to turn round.With the overseas troubles,lack of good local goverance,Zim,Escom,the national credit act and the winter trading period i think we are still in for a rough time,unless u are a day trader of course ,then u might have a chance on extra shart trades.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
sk_1
Super Contributor
barry, you make me wheep!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
barry, nice stats. I will use them on TeeVee tomorrow morning.
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Haha... if I wrote the same thing barry, I'd be told by John and Simon that I've got a negative bias ;)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err, DC if you backed up your bias with hard facts ...
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
DIsmal indeed, thats why I see some commentators who's been punting Banks are starting to refer to a potential Value Trap where the share offer value but apart from daily up and downs ends close to zero over months and even years. Guess Banks are not heading for a value trap its been in a value trap for last 2 years on Barry's stats!
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
errr Simon... that isn't a backup... it's just hard facts available to every1 in the market. His future outlook is an opinion... as was mine. Because a coin has landed on heads the last 20 times out of 20... does that mean it will land on heads the next flip?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Please tell me on which channel.Thanks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
barry - cnbc, 8.30am - 8.45am. Can't be sure I will get it in, but I have requested we chat about banks
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Dont forget to touch up the lip gloss.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Thanks for that barry - and just the reverse if you were lucky enough to hold Resi shares such as SOL or IMP. Of course, not the golds.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Yip Brazen, why don't you tell us what the returns on a long term hold on say,um,GFI would have yielded over the last year or so. PS Holding resouse shares in this market has nothing to do with luck!
0 Kudos
Yakah
Contributor
Quite fitting comment - pity about the tone...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I was just trying to get a Rise out of brazen..truth is, of any sector on the jSE. Gold Shares have been consistant underperformers. With diminishing marginal rate of return, no to little dividends and a ROE that is terrible beyond words. Gold shares should not be a part of any long term portfolio in my not so humble oppinion. Brazen knows how I feel about this, as we have discussed it many times in the past.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Had a look,in general good programme,with trends(your slot)also topical shares discussed (eg DTC which i hold at the moment),every wanna be trader should watch this half hour programme as just pre-market on local shares....First time i've seen you,da cherry doin the questions aint bad te look at either!
0 Kudos