Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A Favour to ask

Tango
Super Contributor
I know, I looked at the movement of the shares over the period and saw that. If I had taken every trade exactly on the triggers, followed stops rigidly, and managed money well, I would have beaten those returns. I'm not there yet, but that's the discipline I'm working on. But there is a lot to be said for a more passive approach. In strong bull markets. Also, to realise those passive returns you would have to be invested in the market right the way through and not had access to those funds to trade in other shares. I'm not performing as well as the mechanical system might indicate, but I figure once you have an edge in the market, it's the surrounding skills you need to learn to be successful.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I dont think trading is wrong but in my research, 2 things became clear. 1: I only significantly outperformed the market when I compounded the gains and 2: I missed a lot of strong moves because I was looking the other way ie looking to trade the whole market vs focusing on a few quality companies with a significant competative advantage. I also believe that for a mug like me highly volitile shares with high prices alow for better trading as a whole as the bands are wide so the cost of sitting out down moves makes trading worth while.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yip passive returns. I've had to have a serious look at trading and I don't really like what I'm seeing. My portfolio which I've had for years with boring old BOE has performed phenomenally well and I haven't made a change in over 3 years. My house, where I just sit on the deck, has performed equally well. My trading account where I spend hours a day - NOT SO GOOD. I think I'm trading cos it's fun and I enjoy it. Is that a good enough reason, I wonder. Makes you think does it not.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
B-Baby, I must with interest point out that besides the fact that your trading affords you hours of fun and enjoyment, the past 3 years have also, it would seem, taught you to speak like AKB. Surely an unintentional but most welcome bonus. Sometimes we aim for the moon and hit our big toe instead. Makes you think, does it not.
0 Kudos
Nick_1
Frequent Contributor
John, Tango I actually do think trading is the way to go. why? Well it is only with hindsight that you can see the YoY returns on these shares. Looking forward it is much more difficult to know if holding for the year will beat trading! Trading also allows you to go short AND during the periods that you are out of a particalur share you are afforded the opportunity to make money on another share, all of which you cant do when holding! Of course as Tango mentioned, any of these returns should also be geared.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tading is fun and it teaches us about this market things that as a passive investor may take 30 years to learn, and I would miss Mrs Monsuir Lilo
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL You have come back firing on all systems,
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
My own Numbers, ( back trade not last years records) AGL 9 trade total 63% compounded 87% AMS 12 trade total 144% compounded 377 % PPC 4 trade total 20 % compounded 21%
0 Kudos
Nick_1
Frequent Contributor
So why u still benchmarking? theres no time, just trade those numbers!
0 Kudos