Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A Tax question.

john_1
Super Contributor
If you are a holder of AMS at the biggining of the year get the divs then sell and buy implats to get the div and the finish the year with AMS. No unusual capital gain to speak of, even possible capital loss. Is there any tax implication.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
DF
Contributor
I have not got the law in front of me, but there is a new law that says that Share profits will be of capital nature if kept for 3 years or longer. Thus for you all profits and losses from buy/sell transactions within a year will be deemed of income nature and not capital gains/losses. The dividend portion will be tax free for the company will pay the STC tax on the dividends declared. Just one other thing to keep in mind is that you will loose some of your face value due to trading fees....but I am sure you know that better than I do.
0 Kudos
DF
Contributor
Ah, I found it just for the reference : It is new S9C in income tax act (Effective from 1 Oct 2007) and interesting that it also applies to private company shares.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Thanks so if you use an instalment, wiping out any capital gain in return for divs = no tax..?
0 Kudos
DF
Contributor
If I understand Installments correct, Yes. Divs = Tax free . If you make final pmt of installment you take ownership of the share. If you sell Installment it is basicaly like warrant trade and will be trading income or loss.
0 Kudos
DF
Contributor
Div portion = always tax free . Rest of trade of income nature Profit or loss if within 3 years.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
as I thought, thanks for your time and knowlage.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
DF does a roll-over of an installment into the same underlying share trigger a tax event each time or only when you stop rolling it over? I'm trying to find out if one could roll-over an installment for more than three years and therefore claim a capital gain as opposed to it being deemed of an income nature when one sell it.
0 Kudos
DF
Contributor
I am not sure....? If you roll over, does the installment value change? Do you have to pay any difference in value ? I can not understand why STD bank would give you the exposure for 3 years for only half the price with only initial installment value??
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Simon, could you perhaps help?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
The instalments have an interest component built into the price?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Tax view - instalment is a short term trading derivative. Considering its nature i dont think you would get away with it as a capital gain. omo
0 Kudos