Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A good to share to have or not?

NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
I am tempted to buy into this, with interest rates dropping and fuel price down. Is there a reason not to buy right now?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Read todays "Daily Technical Analysis Pick n' Pay Stores Ltd - Has lost its grip on its medium-term bull trend"
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Hey TC hope you dont place too much faith in analysis reports they normally wrong.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Recently these guys have lost some market share to spar and shoprite after being dominant for many years.They make money on high interest rates as they do not pay suppliers for as long as they can stretch it and more-they take money in quickly and bank it sharpish.Its a simple business model.There share has been downgraded as they lost market share-if you belive their story that they are going to sort it out and regain lost ground then they are a good bet.They are decent div payers and food inflation works in their favour.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yeah problem is food inflation no longer such an issue....these guys being beaten by the street fighter Whitey .....used to be a sharp/savvy head office team but have gotten very up their own ***** lately....the arrogance and hubris is palpable....people in positions who are way in over their head...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
err is rectum acceptable?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya Shoprite is a much better bet.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i am sure raymond won't like that comment
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Problem is Raymond has handed too much control to the idiots who have never run a business....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I will tell him next time I am at Clovely Golf club.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya.. its more a cultural issue..unless you have packed shelves and run a store. (glorified purchasing manager) you can't run the business. There is simply no culutre of change.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i personally think PnP have overextended themselves by dabling in concept stores - I mean come off it, they are a low cost, low quality retailer. They must be in danger if their target market is losing their jobs left right and centre. Shoprite is making major expansions in Africa. Has anyone tried to buy groceries in Nigeria? I have friends there that pay of R100 for a head of lettuce
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Id rather go with massmart if you really want exposure in retailers at this stage.IMHO
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
you always want to buy a company that at some stage an idiot will run - because at some stage an idiot is going to run it. I bought it 5 years back. It would be hard to destroy this business - and I don't see M&S hubris in them...but they are not quick to move on things - you have to be an investor....
0 Kudos