Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A little experiment to see who is really worth their salt

Not applicable
OK, I am going to say in a short while (I will not mention time frames), I will be having 1 bar (to the code impaired thats 1 mill) to play with, just cause I can. I am going to use about 20% to trade with so i need little advise there.

Now I accept all disclaimers and will not follow any prediction without research it myself.

So now the guru investors tell me what you would invest 800k in over 5 years and why (skip the cause they a solid blue chip etc etc).

I just want to see if the true investor exists on this forum. I have my own selection but want to see who does what. Tnx
0 Kudos
37 REPLIES 37
PaulC
Super Contributor
personally (and I know Im alone here) id put 50% into kruger rands 10% into gold miners (ANG would be my choice) 10% into Mr P 10% into SOL 10% into APN 10% into the stx industrial cause I dont know enough about any one individual company. Actually id prob reduce this to be 80% and keep 20% cash on hand. When you have money in the bank opportunities have a habbit of showing up.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ouch, sorry to those spelling/grammer nuts that like to see things well written. I was chatting to someone while typing and I see I missed a few tenses and words to make this post easy to read. my appologies, but I think you all get the drift...
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
I would buy Gold ETF's (80%),listed property (20%). Reason: I do not trust this false rally or all the Fiat currencies including US$ - something is going to give. Trading acc.: Short TOPI
0 Kudos
Not applicable
PaulC, I like your thinking, only issue I have is kruger rands. They are over valued for what I think they offer and the built in comm is silly. I also believe gold is riding a commodities wave and even if it just keeps value with inflation is will not account for wealth in the long run. The hype around gold is over done and since it broke that "all important" $1000 or $1100 mark it has fizzled to trade sideways for a while. Gold stocks over a shorter period might show opportunity and I have a slice of ANG '-)
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Stxdiv - for a whole bunch of reasons.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I initially got annoyed with the comm built into coins but I now look at it like this. When I sell it ill get the comm back. I own the physical metal (bring on the slew of storage questions) coins are VAT exempt Bars are not and Bars require that you get them re-assayed when you sell them. Although our GLD run by absa is supposed to be 100% gold backed many ETF's are not backed by physical metal as they say they are. SLV is a prime example of this. It is very unlikley that one day we find out the ETF's are just paper contracts with no backing, but having physical I dont have to think about them. Also you can get SARS clearance to move them with you if you decide you want to relocate. Saves luquidating, currency exchange, xfer overseas rebuy whatever that side. Bottom line some people are either physical people or not. Alternative (tho you have to get sars clearance for offshore xfer) is www.goldmoney.com I like that you can buy physical silver (and there is no silver ETF in SA - yet) The downside here is small transactions the fees are high.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you don't get the comm back .. the agent gets the comm ..
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
With heat like we had yesterday - 44degrees you'll need the funds to install extra cooling not to produce vinegar! My share choice - at least some EOH
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
If you like gold get some bullion from sCoin or InvestGold. From a collectors point of view, if you choose wisely, you realise good growth which outstrips the com. But these are not cheaply tradable.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Dear Dr Roffey stated last night that the Swiss Franc is the only currency backed by physical gold. Fact or fiction? Sometimes, I really wonder why I watch the talking heads. Bronwyn, on the other hand......
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
I would go for an even spread of: BIL; SOL; JSE; SPAR (or any other retailer of preference); SBK; TigerBrands; MTN and IVT
0 Kudos
Herms
Contributor
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
A note about Scoin, they are the most expensive place (in dbn) to get coins. They also punt commerorable coins which do cary a HEAVY premium. That said make sure you get your coins (esp if they not proof coins) from a registered coin dealer ....
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I speak under correction but tho the swiss were the last to sever their gold backed standard (NOTE NOT gold Exchange standard, that ended way before)I believe they did this in the year 2000.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
I don't believe this financial crisis has run its course. The level of bailout money is unprecedented, sometime their is going to be a correction. Just 12 mths ago the ALSI was at c18000, a c55% retrace in such a short space of time. Ditto for many other indices. My concern is not inflation but deflation. Banks are not lending and people are loathe to borrow. Pressure on prices, leads to lower GDP. Soon the reserve banks around the world will be decreasing interst rates to stimulate economies. This situation is of course negative for gold. If you believe this environment a possibility, then only two areas to invest. Money market and bonds. How long, I don't know. Maybe 1 or 2 years. After the correction, then you can haul out the stashed loot and invest in the recovery phase along the lines of the Dow Theory (when the smart people buy). I hope this is of some assistance.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I'll only suggest shares that I have and like, so my choice would be: R200K in REM, R200K in DST, R200K in SPP, R100K in DSY and because I like small caps, I would stick R100K in CCL. A bit of minor cross shareholding I know. Picks have a decent DY, btwn 3-4% on average, so thats possibly an extra R180K tax free over the next five years. These picks have been good to me for a while, I think will grow over the next 5 years. I am always looking to these holdings.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
REM, SOL, JSE, SBK, TBS, OML, BTI, MTN - All different sectors. TOP40 and well researched and from 29 Dec 2008 would have earned you 35% ex divi's.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
150k in both BIL & IMP, then 100k in REM,RBW,BTI,MPC,SBK, These stocks I'd leave as my pension, the 200k balance I'd put into a trading account and trade the smaller caps. Remember China sold more new cars in Jan 2010 than the whole of 2002,my reason for laoding the 1st two counters.If you want alittle more risk I'd replace BTI with KIO.
0 Kudos