Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A little tip..

john_1
Super Contributor
If you buy a geared instrument and it is not green at the close on the day you buy it.. sell it that same day into the auction... geared products are all about timing and if you got it wrong on day one.. fine chance its not going to get better the next couple of days... If this saves you a fortune..please send comms via electronic bank transfer..
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Terra
Super Contributor
Which one you got wrong??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
dude..so many I lost count..but this little trick means I still make cash from trading..
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
I'm currently in your tip situation, and today doesn't look better than yesterday..... so I agree.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
this is responce to the oke who lost R160k over months..geez the easiest time to admit you are wrong is when it happens
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Good tip John. What rule do you apply to shares? I like to use the support area and not a persentage.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
stops are one thing..this just says..I got the timing wrong..I will take the small loss and wait for a better entry..
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
Taking those small losses is hard to do, but critical for money management.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
When trading warrents, try to enter the trade, exit at a small profit to cover the trading costs plus a small cushion, re-enter the same trade again before the close of the day - you only pay one trade fee, and you already banked that so the trade is now "free" and you've got a breathing space for any gaps in the wrong direction on the next day open. If there is a gap in the wrong direction, you exit at the gap close. This way, you don't make the losses. If at any time the formula is not working - take a break from trading!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I agree with you saash..I am talking about when a trade just never goes green on day one
0 Kudos
deepR
Occasional Contributor
John, how do you trade on auction; do you use at the market or limit the price, thanks for the trading tip.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
ja, if its wrong its wrong .... and if you gap over-night you'll be more wrong to the power of 6-10, and so you hold and pray, until eventually you can't wait for that coffee .... and then when you back from coffee, the US announced something else that further devistated your trade while you weren't looking.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I thought that maybe uncle Buffett gave u a trading tip last night.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
he did he collapsed in a heap..and was short.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
But what does Buffet represent to you John? A buffoon, as expressed in your origonal quote?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
no he represents an savay trader, who knows a thing or two about markets
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, not even slighlty convinced by this warrant idea .. an you will have two trades fees on day 1, for the buy and the sell ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Agreed!! I've done a few profitable trades like this intra day, intraday trades are few and far between I must admit for my risk profile, but I would not really say it is that much more profitable or better to do it this way. Often a fast change in prices has left me poorer cause I got in again (yes for "free") but at a higher warrant price and the price then drops. A steady rising/falling (depending on trade type) price is better than a wide fluctuating price anyday. Can anyone here say they can time intraday entry & exists even 80% accurately? I have tried with little luck so I time 3-5 day cycles when I can
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I dont think I have ever made a profitable trade, that did not end the day I bought it green.. so make it 3 days..my point is simple..you are buying a geared product because the price must rise to profit.. so there must be some momentum in the price for you to buy.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john I agree on your green, absolutely .. I don't agree on the warrant buy/sell/buy .. so many spreads to cross, brokes to pay, slippage to manange ..
0 Kudos