Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A little tip..

Wizard
Super Contributor
Uncle Buffet knows nothing about tops and bottoms in the market. What he does is.he uses the relative weakness in the market to accumulate low probability risk shares with a view of "never" to sell them. He used other people's money to really lift him up to where he is now. If u collected R100m from people and invested in SOL back in the 80s when it was trading at 2 bucks/share u will also be looked at as super market guru now!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I also want to know how the auction works.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Does the tip work for short positions over weekends? ie. end the friday red?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John, now for a spanner in the tip works.... what if I get my entry in the last minutes of the day but the general trend seems to be up? Today I got my order filled in the last 4 minutes of trade so I am not green nor am I red? ;-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John, i have to say that you might be right with your requirement, but I can say that I have lost out on a hanguva lot of profit in the past, by getting jittery on my entry. I have many times exited when my timing was off, only to find myself in exactly the same situation the next day.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think there is a tendency to try to find logical number rules, in various forms. It gives the illusion of control, yet is always followed by a OMO. TA is a tool. Works well mostly. Why? Cause it shows in graph form the psychology of buyers and sellers. But it is actually the psychology of buyers and sellers which moves the price. TA is merely an attempt to read the psychology. I think John is right, as a generalisation, to give his tip. What underlies it is simple. If you thought the market would do x because of abc, and it doesn't do what you expected, get out ASAP. Once you read a lot, and trade a lot, you realise the psychology is key, and that TA helps, but that there is a distance between TA and the psychology. It is in the end a 'feel' for the market. This crops up in many books and websites. Why is Simons' oft read book called 'Trading in the Zone'. Why does he choose that title? WE like to think we are clever, and can make logical calls, but really it is about a 'feel' which is honed, with the help of indicators which, at a distance and very loosely, track the psychology. A last 'tip'. One has to remember it is largely the American psychology which drives things.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I agree that gitters can cost plenty, but as a disipline, exiting a possition that are not green lets you live to fight many more days..the market will always be here and every day it will present an oppertunity or 2. "missing out" is the the key enemy of my own sucsess. This is just one way to help keep that in check. I realize its not perfect but its a lot better than sitting through a 20% loss that never once showed promise, as many have done before.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SO now I have to dumb down my thinking/feelings...eeish ;-) But this is turning out to be one of those very great dbates and posts we have every so often. There is alot of merit in the choice and tip so adding it to the mix, how so ever you feel needs be, will hopefully allow us to refine out trades.
0 Kudos