Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A message of warning from MM watch the SandP

john_1
Super Contributor
The S&P500 (850.75) fell by another three percent yesterday, and is now just two points above its October 27 low at 848.9. We think it is vital to assess the likely outcome of this level either breaking or holding. A close below 848.9 would mark a fall to the composite's lowest level since March 2003. The S&P500 is now down by 42% year-to-date, not far off Wall Street's record fall of 47.1% in 1931. We think that a close below 848.9 would see a big rise in technical selling and result in the next sharp downleg, taking the composite to 2002's low at 777 (or 776.8 to be exact). Coincidentally, this would push the year's losses to exactly 47.1%. According to the ultra long-term proxy data we hold for the US stock market, 1931's 47.1% fall is the biggest annual drop since records began in 1825. We'd expect 2008 to match this record if support at 848.9 breaks. No small feat and sufficient reason, we think, to remain risk averse to, and fearful of, world stock markets. This will remain the case until the strong, prevailing downtrends are broken, whenever that may be. On the other hand, we believe maintenance of support at 848.9 is what should matter to the bulls. If support at 848.9 does not break in the next few sessions, we'd expect a small double bottom at circa 849/850. In this case, we'd expect a rally to the top of the current range at 1006 - that's near-term strength of more than 20%. As we expect world stock markets to keep following Wall Street, our technical advice is to watch the 848.9 level on the chart of the S&P500.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
john i agree, but you only looked at the s&p, the support for the dow is 7'900, break below that we'll test 6'000 shortly and for the jse the test is 18'400. if we break below 18'400 we'll test 16'200.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
John, very usefull, thanks for the post - by the way where did you get the info?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
john please tell me where i can get the latest update on the S&P500.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
John, what they don't mention is that last week Thursday we had a lower low on the S&P at 818 and that's the critical number. If the S&P even touches that number again then the TA selling is going to intensify like there's no tomorrow (scuse the pun). But, yeap, 840/850 is now critical as it's formed a clear support base albeit a fragile one. Personally I think we're going to play out 1929 to 1932 to the relative pip for lack of a better way of saying it. The primary downtrend is not only intact, it's awesomely powerful.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
If this was October I would say Crash. Now in November it's a bit different.DOW positive divergence on the RSI. VIX very negative.But if SP500 777 comes there will be some nice bargains down there short-medium term.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Thanks john. Very bearish if it doesn't hold tonight. But if it does - M sees a 20% rally. mmmmm mmmm . . .. torture ahead for me - my eldests 9th birthday and I am taking a few of his friends out to lunch.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Geez Brazen we have been talking ka k here for to long.. I can remember his 6th bithday. Congrats to both of you!
0 Kudos