Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ABIL

chitchat
New Contributor
BUY, BUY, BUY
0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
Not applicable
Why,why, why
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
.....the highest gearing short you can find!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
He means , cover your shorts!
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
This is what it is - banking services to the middle to lower end of the economic ladder. When I look at this I see a cheap opportunity - but one which I think will drift lower as more evidence of consumers under pressure emerges - Oh and then there is capitec - a nice 9% off...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yeah , CPI ......
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I remember reading a submission that held that unsecured lending would account for something like 5% of the mainstream banks' business by volume but 25% of their profits...? Well- what hope for them then? At least furniture stores have an initial margin to work with. Anyway - it will be interesting to see how this unfolds...
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Yes yes yes up 10 %, bought at 1600
0 Kudos
Not applicable
haha and you also could have been down 40% in a week : ) ) but well done!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
In at R16 - out at R18,30 - still have JDG - so I'll just watch ABL while I sweat over JDG.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Go for the easy money, no sweating.....ALSI FUTURES.anyway, how many of you got shaken out yesterday morning?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Does it make you feel good when others loose money, peabrain?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think there is a big difference in the big banks' unsecured lending books. They are far more circumspect who they lend to - usually you have to be a client of theirs, with proof of income and the loan is capped at 3 times your monthly. Having said that though, your margin comment is food for thought on the value proposition of the traditional 4, (of whom one - Nedbank - has just been pipped off the number 4 slot for sleeping at the wheel and not watching the Capitec dark horse!)
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Y. The point is that they accept traditional security such as property - which costs a fortune to hold and even more to realise (auction fees, rates and taxes, security, legal fees for eviction, etc.) They may even be better off without it. They lend with a view to realising 1,5 to 3% net on their money. There really is margin for error. In this new environment, ( the new middle class etc.) they really have no track record re the quality of their debtors. They have no meaningful access to the informal market due to their strict lending criteria and the need to preserve the value (quality) of their own issuances - So... in the long term - I will take micro lenders over the big four any day. That said, I am afraid that in the immediate future there is a maelstrom brewing for all of them.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well, to get that response can only mean you got shaken out, and if that happened to you, yes it makes me happy!question asked , question answered.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
MY reply to buy,buy,buy is....bye,bye,bye!
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
kawcha
Contributor
Nah, my respond is HA, HA, HA
0 Kudos
kawcha
Contributor
Nah, my respond is HA, HA, HA
0 Kudos