Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ACL- Simon Brown

Preston
Super Contributor
My daughter is 20 month, Buy 2000 shares at this price(Sunk cost ) ,and give this to her on her wedding day? Your long term view?
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they have management problems, until that resolved in a tough steel market they stand zero chance ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
preston, your daughter not even 2 .. you got 15-20+ years, no need to take risk buying some hopeful .. you got enough time to buy a boring blue chip, over the time it'll reward with markedly lower risk .. i buy my niece and nephew etf's adding to them for birthdays etc .. risk is just market and given time that be wealth creation ..

ponder how your life would be different if somebody had started it for you 20years back ..
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Simon, my birthday is in April if you want to add me to your list :)
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
With a 20 years view I'd buy SAB.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Kwagga, i would be smiling had i acted on your information, the timing thereof.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
My daughter just been born - have opened up a Auto Share invest account for her and am buying monthly Satrix DIVI and Satrix 40, so far. Boring I know.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
congrats on your baby. Someday she will appreciate your timeless efforts.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
congrats on your baby. Someday she will appreciate your timeless efforts.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
You'll be smiling in 20 years time irrespective of yesterday's run, but that was good timing.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Blik - My son is 4 now, and we're investing monthly into a Satrix40 account for him for the last three years. We've recently sold all this old baby stuff like prams, cots, camper etc and re invested the proceeds back into this account. One day he'll be glad to know that his second hand pram is paying for his car, stusies etc. It's quite amazing to see how quickly this fund have grown. Someday dad might even scoop some cream of this fund after all his costs have been covered.
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
My Granddaughter is 16 months old living in New Zealand .Have put some money in D.H.S. (Discovery ) Hoping for good long term growth ....
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
My Granddaughter is 16 months old living in New Zealand .Have put some money in D.H.S. (Discovery ) Hoping for good long term growth ....
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
10/10 for KWAGGA : 1/10 for ms Money bags and Preston.. Kwagga doesn't have to think about this investment - and given the timeframe doesn't need to......
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
Hey Partridge I also dont have to think about it .I have stop losses in place and will jump if I have to .No emotion ....
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Not a good idea
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Dear ms Moneybags I am filled with admiration( "polite recognition of another's resemblence to oneself") at your undoubted resourcefulness but can't help asking myself whether we differ in some key respects such as why your apparent idea of fun is running backwards up a hill in army boots with a pack on? Oh well ,I suppose it all goes to make up a market?
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
I was invested in Satrix 40, Satrix Divi and Rafi for a long time.. I totally agree with Simon.. Buy something that doesn't require continuous management. My only comment is that when I compare Satrix with some of the unit trusts/funds out there...Satrix doesn't look that appealing.. I don't have kids or anything, so at the beginning of the year I pulled my Satrix and bought Woolies and Pinnacle.. So far I'm smiling, but this is obviously a different strategy as it requires management.. For the kids, Satrix or funds is the way forwqard!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
satrix40 (the index) beats some 85% of general equity unit trusts ..
0 Kudos