Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ADSL for home use

Richard_1
Occasional Contributor
Any recommendations for the best combination for ADSL at home? eg. Telcom+mweb or Telcom+xyz or 3G or iBurst. Tks..R
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
Telkom+Imaginet The excellent service from the one is indirectly proportional to the other. :) Once Telkom gets around to install your line, Imaginet really gives good service and very cheap too.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you don't need mobility (i.e. HSDPA, etc.), Telkom's 384 kbps, 3Gb cap is best 'bang' for your buck. I've got it now for more than a year and I'm very happy. Do yourself a favour and invest in a Linksys wireless gateway so you can share the internet connection with your wife, kids, friends, whoever. Also gives you the flwxibility to connect with a notebook using the wireless capabilites. Added features are DHCP, built-in firewall, etc.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Hi Richard 3G has the advantage of being portable. But its the most expensive way of doing it. ADSL is the way to go if you are fixed. Telkom will try hook you into a 2 year agreement by offering a "free" modem if you sign the ISP portion as well as the line with them. I may be biased against them because I work for one of the big ISP's, but I would not go with Telkom for the whole bundle. Would you like to contact me off list so that I can give you pricing and more info ? We offer all including iBurst and 3G Lionel
0 Kudos
Richard_1
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the good advice,I dont really have a need to be portable as I have internet access from the office. I really do need to share with the rest of the family as Bouts has mentioned and I did like the looks of Imaginet as suggested by Wumpus and the Linksys gateway combination. Thanks also to Lionel for your offers. Great stuff, you've got me all enthusiastic about this ADSL. Regards Richard
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Richard, Mail me your contact details to my gmail address. ( Wouldnt want to give you my work one as some may see it as a shameless plug and either buy or sell their Reunert shares ! ) Its [email protected]
0 Kudos
Richard_1
Occasional Contributor
Ok , email sent ...R
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Closer option 4/5 + Openbrowse (openweb.co.za) R499+R269 = 30 GB internet + 1000 local telkom min's + homeline rental.!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
'Closer' options are from Telkon
0 Kudos
Not applicable
555 is not correct - Telkom will give you a month to month account (only the line) and will give you a modem - I even got a wireless modem cause I asked nicely at no extra cost. If you decide not to stay with them you simply give the modem back ( I have heard they usually dont even bother)
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
We don't all have the same charm as you,Chartist. Do you think it would work for any of us?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its amazing what you can get if you just ask nicely - I got my ADSL in 5 days (when people were waiting for a year). You just gotta know how to praat the taal and always be nice first. The poor telkom people are so used to abuse that when they get the opposite they are completely floored.
0 Kudos
Mic
Super Contributor
I have 1024kb Iburst, it is very fast and I had only one problem this year and that was slow speed for two day's while they did repairs. I get 3Gig for R599/pm,but you have to buy the modem for about R1500 once off or they can add it to your monthly fee.
0 Kudos