Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

AGL - Anglo American

akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
This share is crippling me, where is she heading and when is the turnaround. Anyone on the same side of the boat.
0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
dookie
Regular Contributor
Oooh dear. No - I'm riding her wicked step sister BIL. But on my chart, there's only way for both - that's down. I'm short and my portfolio is finally starting to look a bit better. Both seem to have broken out of a rising wedge recently. After today's action it seems that AGL has broken the 5 year support line. It perked up from this fate once or twice before - who knows what could happen tomorrow. But I'm bearish. Grrrr.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
AGl is trading in a box pattern at the moment with the support around the R 170 and resistance at R 240 ish needs to break below or above for things to change . So trade the box in the meantime go long at around 170 ish with a tight stop loss at around the R 160 of course all of this is only my opinion and you should do your own research.
0 Kudos
akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the input guys Dookie, you must be relieved that you are short on this one. If i place my stop loss at 160 and if it triggers, i will take a knock of 30 bucks. Big loss, I think i will ride on this one and wait for the turnaround, also bearish guys.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Rhetorical question - if AGL comes to rest at R120-R130, how big will your loss then be? At what point will you lose head and sell? R90? Consider all these factor when you ponder if you should sell. Nobody knows where the trend will end, so work out your scenarios & actions now.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
if the stops don't hit ride it but for goodness sake don't trade it without stops..
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
I'm long on AGL. Results due on the 19th, market pricing in a disaster. I think we are near the bottom.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
BHP is out on WED should give the market an Idea.
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
If you're in shares not SSF's you have no problem. Just wait pick up your dividend reinvest those and give it 18 months or so you will do fine. Just walk away for awhile otherwise you will feel mounting pressure and force a decision not good.
0 Kudos
akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Guys, I think I am gonna hang on with no stop loss as it should be near its bottom. I am already way into the red, not prepared to take this loss, I rather hang around and hope for a sooner recovery.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ah! another one bites the dust!!!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Got SSF or stock?
0 Kudos
akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
Got stock - considering changing my position and buying again. AGL has got to be one of the top 5 for 2009. Plse advise if I am on the right line as I prepared to wait it out. Do you believe that she is nearing the bottom as well.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
No-one can call bottoms or tops. Next support for AGL is around R130 if it breaches R170.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Anyone know what portion of AGL's revenue comes from platinum?
0 Kudos
no_money
Contributor
As a percentage of Revenue: Paper and Packaging 21.85% Base Metals 18.90% Ferrous Metals and Industries 18.06% Platinum 17.44% Industrial Minerals 12.92% Coal 8.24% Gold
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely paper was mondi and no longer part of the group .. the data is from the previous FY ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
From the AGL web (2007) operating profit: Platinum=28%, Diamonds=5%, Base metals=45%, Ferrous metals=15%, Coal=6%, Industrial minerals=5%
0 Kudos
Not applicable
it just goes to show do not trust everything you read it all adds up to 104%
0 Kudos
Not applicable
...and that nogals from their own web page. Also found these on the Interim Report July 2008: Operating Profit ($m) Base Metals=2454, Platinum=1467, Ferrous metals=1252, Coal=731, Diamonds=328, Non core stuff=207...
0 Kudos