Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

AGL - Anglo American

platsak
Super Contributor
BHP results in Australia looks dismal. If thats the same for the sa operation it dies nt bode well. If the 170 support dont hold where is the next stop in the opinion of the forum.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the results are for bhp, which includes the sa operations .. it is a global company ..
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
My apologies. IMO it doesnt seem to bode well for commodity stocks in the short term as a lot of ppl were waiting to find direction from this results.
0 Kudos
Pam_1
Regular Contributor
AAUK (Nasdaq) traded 6% higher overnight. Anglo should be well green today.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Here is my long term logic. Platinum bounced of its 2004 lows last year and has consolidated higher, without showing any real signs of dropping. Anglo is a long way off its 2004 prices (still 50% up). I am moving back in for the long term with 25% of my target total holdings and will cost average if prices drop. I will enter the rest when Anglo''s trend starts looking up (EMA cross overs - after pull back). However, I must say that BHP is my preferred resource bluechip
0 Kudos
Not applicable
BIL's results were not all that bad. Profit was substantially down, but that was largely due to once-off charges like the aborted bid for Rio. They doubled their dividend, which is a strong sign of their confidence going forward. (Either that, or stupidity - time will tell...) However, two sparrows do not a summer make; likewise, two green days do not a bull market make. We might just have been the beneficiaries of a short squeeze in the past few days. Tread cautiously...
0 Kudos
akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
Trading is a funny game, yesterday I was under immense pressure just to recover my money and today I am being greedy waiting to take a piece from the market. I do not like stopp losses because it always triggers and even when i think I am out of reach, setting the stop loss out of support levels, it some how just gets there and turnaround. Had I set a stop loss on AGL I would of being crying now, lucky I did'nt as it would of triggered. I prefer taking chances without the stop loss. Buy a quality share and wait for the turnaround if you are at a loss. Thanks Guys and I hope I'm always in the game.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
taking chances .. well byebye then ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I must say if stop losses are in place I sleep better and stress is very low, since I know what I can loose!
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Simon is right - imagine not having set a stop loss when anglo plat was at R1480 and riding it to R380? Or riding Investec from R108 to R38 or Weziswe from R15 to R1.20... There is no telling that the share will turn 'just beyond' your stop (though we all like to belive it and move that stop just a wee tad further...)
0 Kudos