Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

AGL SSF - Did I miss a stopp loss?

BAP
Regular Contributor
Simon or ? I had a trigger for a long AGLQ-MAR09 SSF (fortunately only 1) to trigger at underlying 16500 and minimum 16450. Received confirmation of trigger at 09h10 but no confirmation of sale. Still shows on portfolio with a red minus 1 and getting worse! Did it go through that R50 gap (ok I know its too tight!) too fast for the sale or are the volumes so large that confirmation only comes later today (Still hopefull that the daily loss is not true!)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Brazen
Super Contributor
Probably sailed right through your low price limit, which means you are still in. At least it is one contract, and ya you can't set that limit so tight.
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Thought so. Tight limit seemed ok under normal trading conditions but then today was abnormal - like having only water for 4 hours per day. Ah well, probably not such a bad time for a born optimist that things will rise again, to pick up a few more??
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I would not recommend that. And, you have to be careful with those lower limits as you've seen. When the sh*t hits the fan you just want out - I know some ppl say you should set the lower limit at zero.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Don't compound the whole F***-up by averaging down. If you get lucky and it bouces, sell into strength. Remember where you stop was? It has triggered and your job is to get out now with as little damage as possible.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Your stoploss should be put in a place where it would confirm that the trend is against your trade.Once that confirmation is received, you need to get out and take the hit. If you are still thinking it could bounce back, then your stoploss was in the wrong place (a very costly mistake over time). You can't average down on warrants, because of the time decay, they are a short term instrument - the strategy is only good for share purchases (and again it is not a popular strategy among traders). This is all IMO of course!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry, i also don't think you can average down on SSF's, also because of the time decay issue, but this is less of a problem than warrants.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Skapie... what do you figure the cost of holding a SSF is? I was looking at my SBK futures and it seems that every day... the first 1.something percent, as much as 1.3% favourable move goes to time decay. If you don't get a bigger move than that in your favour, you lose. Reckon that's a good estimate? That seems pretty much on par with warrants.
0 Kudos