Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ALMI Spread

RisseN
Contributor
Hi All, What is the ALMI spread like these days? Last time I had a look (2months ago) there were multiple market makers and the spread was within a point or two of the ALSI. Has that remained the same? Also, what is the daily volume like?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
spread same as ALSI spread, 1k-1.5k contracts trading per day ..
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
That's great news thanks. It seems as though the ALMI now is actually tradable.
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
That's great news thanks. It seems as though the ALMI now is actually tradable.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And the charting?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And the charting?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you chart ALSI or Topi
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Being new to trading I have been trying to trade with the ALMI for the past few months. Some important things to note Cost to get in and out is about 30 points as opposed to about 3 points for the ALSI so this is quite a big issue. Spreads are not really an issue, but because it trades less than the ALSI you don't get stopped out of trades until the ALMI actually trades past your stop. I've had the market move 30 - 50 points past the stop level before being stopped out of the ALMI. That said it is a great way to learn with limited risk as opposed to the ALSI
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
That's why you chart using the ALSI. When you see your stop being hit on the ALSI, you exit your ALMI position. You can of course have a hard stop in place just in case, but generally you'll only have a few points slippage by watching the ALSI, and exiting ALMI when your stop is hit. Therefore imo the spread was always the real issue, which now because it is small isn't an issue any more.
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
The spread is currently over 10 points (and has been whenever i've had a chance to check over the last few days). I was getting hopeful but it seems a narrow spread was too good to be true.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
looks like only 2 markets makers left, 1 is 3 points either side of ALSI and the other 4 points ..
0 Kudos