Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ALSI (15Nov)

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
engulfing candle just put me short ..
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an stopped .. lol, lasted 3 minutes ..
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
R/USD has done a double bottom and currently above R7/USD. Should have kept your short. lol.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no .. tis a system .. no thinking allowed .. just follow the rules ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an market turns green .. this why I love stops ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon I see a green candle (10:15) swallow a red candle (10:00). Why did you go short? I am not saying you are wrong, I am just trying to see what you see that made you make such a call.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I shorted the previosu candle .. the 10am swallowed the 9.45 ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Okay thanks. I understand that the 7/21 MA should show direction but today it is all over the place. Is it a good thing to trade when the MA's are not both in the same direction? I am trying to gauge how important the two MA's are. I have already noticed that you give the 7 day a higher priority than the 21 day. Wyy then have a 21 day MA at all?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
7 above 21 I only go long .. below I only go short ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Simon, Some questions:When you went short, the 7MA was below the 21MA? Also, can one wait for the next candle after the trigger for confirmation or is the engulfing candle the trigger and confirmation. Lastly, can't I just use the MACD Zero line crossover.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
as soon as I get the signal I trade .. MACD, no idea, I do't use indicators or oscilators ..
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
Simon ... would it not be safer to enter at low of engulfing candle (if to trade short)? It may have kept you out of stopped trade.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
maybe .. but would I not maybe also miss some great trades ???
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon, I think Snakes request that you tell us how you trade your system helps to clarify some aspects, especially the mechanical side of things....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yep, I appreciate it also. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The green 13:15 candle was the candle of the day it seems. MA 7/21 were both up and 7 was above 21. From here things went up and up. Rule: If still in position at 17:00 get out. Heng it would have worked perfect. Oppertunity lost BUT great knowledge gained. Respect!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
correct .. I got stopped out for about 70 points .. then got in again and exited in the closing auction as I must always be out by 5pm .. 3 trades for the day and 64 points profit ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simon.. what is your stop loss.. trailing 50 points from entry or from bottom of trigger candle?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
also are you using only the coloured in bits or are you using the full trade range of each candle?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
coloured bits only .. trailing 50 point stop .. so when I in I can leave ..
0 Kudos