Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ALSI Trading period

Not applicable
Just for interests sake, is it possible to trade the index futures over a period of time, eg if it is at 28000 today but you expect it to be 30000 in a week's time?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure .. any time frame you like ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
but not advisable i'm sure
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, depends on your strategy/risk management .. most ALSI traders I know are not intra-day tarders .. they hold for as long as signal valid/not stopped out ..
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
My friend, you carry on asking DuMB questions, you'll carry on getting DuMB answers!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Nello
Occasional Contributor
is there a decay in play? if so at what percentage p.a.?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
@prancing horse... Some people might say there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. I think you prove that sentiment
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there is, but not an exact science .. about (very about) 25 points a week ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry boet but i think your comment is DUMB.This forum should be a place were all of us can learn.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
The biggest risk I see is overnight exposure/open contracts...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It is totally possible, and probably recommended, IMO. With longer timeframes, you can make money trading ALMI rather than ALSI. If you use ALSI contracts, you will need fairly deep pockets to cover the risk. Also, if you want to hedge - you can open up an account with a 24hr trading platform - like IGmarkets (although I really caution trading with them). If your overnight position is in danger of being stopped out with a big gap the next day, take out an opposite trade - and then exit your positions at the opening.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an sleep when you're dead ?? surely gaps play both ways and anyways if you've got proper risk management gaps are not end of the road ..
0 Kudos
GrantRB
Contributor
Skaaptie ... why do you offer caution against trading with Ig markets ? I was looking at opening up an account with them.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
DMB...My advice is never carry a loss over night, ie open a possition based on what you think might happen and let it unfold, if after 1 day yoou have a loss exit as your timing was clearly wrong, if after one day you are up 500 points let it run... and do so as long as the profit is growing..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice guys. Definitely need to learn more before I actually start trading.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
to DMB, for miss reading your question and replying with a dumb retort I apologise.In life we all end up with egg on our face some time or other, today was my turn.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
Good to see an apology on this forum....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No offense taken Prancing Horse. Thanks
0 Kudos