Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ALSI

Not applicable
Well speak for yourself, but I made 100 points in this morning's long trade, and I am 70pts in with a short, both trades based on system setups of mine.
0 Kudos
swordfish
Frequent Contributor
skaapjoppie, are you trading with IG markets. ? what time frame / frames do you use. ?
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
Would you be looking for a bounce to go long again or do you think trend is down
0 Kudos
Not applicable
swordfish, stay away from IG markets. I know it has its supporters, but it is an expensive platform. I trade DWT, but OST can be used as well, only not on any timeframe less than 15 min (too slow otherwise). IG markets uses a pricing technique called shading, which means that the futures price quoted is always 6pts lower than the actual (for buy) and 6 points higher for sell). It will cost you 12 points each time. I do use it though, (their charts are awesome) when I want to hold positions overnight, because they allow 24hr trading, which means I can guarantee my stops. So my IG markets portfolio takes advantage of trades involving daily price action, and I use DWT for intraday. I trade 5 minute timeframes.
0 Kudos
swordfish
Frequent Contributor
thanks tjop. the way i see IG with my demo acc. is, they take +/- 20 points per trade. on a 100 point move, 20 points do not seem that much. ? but i will look into DWT. thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I don't think, I just act - we are sitting on the daily support, while FTSE still looking positive. If FTSE turns, our support will probably break, if it continues to rally, we will probably bounce. Personally, I won't trade long again. The high price was rejected, and the momentum is clearly down right now. Maybe the Dow can change things, but I am keeping my short in place. If we bounce, I close out my trade and wait for a new entry - if we break, well I will make a nice profit.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
on a 100pt move, 20pts is huge! It is 20 percent of your trade! And what about all the times you are on the wrong side - if you are capitalizing on 100pts, then you can't be using more than a 60pt stoploss - and if they are taking 20pts of that as well (in reality it is probably about that - because they don't allow you to trade 'inside' the spread - then you are losing around 40% more than you bargained for each time.
0 Kudos
swordfish
Frequent Contributor
agreed, what is the TOTAL cost for trading one contract at DWT ? ( buying + selling )
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
guys, if you trading the alsi use dwt etc etc....if you want to trade the dow or ftse or any forex your spread is 2 and 1 points respectively on ig.....it doesnt come cheaper, plus the best platform and charts available.....no contest. And i guess we can make believe that the alsi is really important, its still ftse and the dows *****....trade the source, not some wannabe
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Ninja, overall is trading the FTSE and DOW on IG cheaper than trading ALSI on DW? I am currently demo'ing the IG platform but there is no UK demo available. Hence I cannot trade FTSE/DOW/FX. Thier commissions on CFD's seem enormous.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
maybe today Preston.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
maybe not. All bets are off today, I think. There is almost no volume to make things interesting
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaap i am watching the trendline on the sp 500 chart 1 hr chart.a clear break to the downside through the trendline would signal a short to me.But the sp500 came short of my target of 1363+-.So we might see a last thrust up.
0 Kudos