Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ALT

Safrican
Occasional Contributor
Any new thoughts as to why this share has bogged down ?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
coz everything goign wrong for them, specially in east africa ..
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Bad historical purchase, bad ongoing management, no Act 2 to follow on main eraners...=downward pressure.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
A bet on Altech is a bet on UEC, IMO. Right now, you are getting it practically for free. Autopage and Netstar are mature industries, and East Africa is fuksalled. They can't even sell it. But UEC is a bet on the DSTV rollout picking up local supply. It has the potential to be the single biggest IT initiave in South Africa's history, assuming we trust the state and those bozo's at Sentech to pull it off.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Don't agree with the bad management. Similar management that took them to great heights. West africa nice profit earner for 5 yrs while protected, now up for sale. East Africa caught them by surprise as it has become the cheapest and fastest data carrier in Africa in a short space of time. Reliability of network also let them down badly, however, I feel that they will overcome long term. Locally Autopage, Netstar, Motorola holding up quite well also expanding to s/america. New GM joining in Jan. I have been selling over time absorbing losses and now hold a tiny portion. Long term however, I feel they will recover but will not do anything until results, particular Africa start showing some return on the investment.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
UEC = set-top boxes neh ?? how big can this really be (considering we also have ELI and likely other unlisted all trumpeting this as their saviour) .. Maybe 5million in total, at what GP ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
census says 10.7 million homes own a television ..
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Correction. Smart card making business in Nigeria up for sale not East Africa. Already supplied 1000's setops to Australia. Agree with Simon, will make a contribuion in SA but not huge as there will be at least 2 other compentitors. IMO growth will come from East Africa, organic and the great technical team they have in place developing all sorts of goodies and deals e.g Setone(Europe), nupay nucard, partners with Huawei, ISIS etc.etc. If you shareholder then Altech Talk should be prescribed reading. Check Nov issue on their website.
0 Kudos
Safrican
Occasional Contributor
...just really tempting to add to my position when it hovers around 3700...
0 Kudos
Safrican
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Wino ... good point.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
This share shows a 49 % decline over 3 years. That is evidence of sub par management. That is why it is cheap. Management are a problem. They have had plenty time to show SOME evidence of a turn around. Sentimentality has no place in the market..... but whilst the family are in place -don't hold your breath.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Why try and catch a falling knife. Wait for the results if you still believe in the company, only that will change sentiment.
0 Kudos
Safrican
Occasional Contributor
Agreed, the result of not follow a 4% stop loss ... so now I sit with an unreachable cost ... Oh well, let's see what the dividends look like.
0 Kudos
Safrican
Occasional Contributor
not folowing...
0 Kudos