Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community


Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

AMS and platinum in general

Reply
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Help!! Taking a beating here - dropped right through 'too tight' stopp loss. Do I average down (against good trading advice) or get out now? 'Trading the price' says get out but this drop surely can't last much longer??
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Not applicable
I had the same thoughts on a different product and it proved me wrong, twice. It went lower and lower. I learned to always preserve capital. That way if it does go lower, you can always buy in again if you think that it will really turn around. The bottom line is that, yes you will lose some money when you sell to preserve your bucks, but those losses can be made back when you buy in lower. This is just what I learned.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
snake is right .. you made one mistake by missing your stop .. now why would you want to make a second mistake by averaging down ??
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Simon - Iforgot how to cancel the triggered stop loss not executed?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
on the menu .. under my account ..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Could have a bounce to 706 ( 20 ma) - look to exit there. Then look to sell short. ( my opinion)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
706 sounds about right.Interestingly though, the $Platinum chart is showing a BUY signal.And on the AMS chart, price is now on the 400 ma line.Crucial Support.The MACD shows good Positive divergence( bounce coming,usually hard and quick.)But yeah,Short at/near the 50ma line.Play safe.I went in at R640.I will buy more at R620.R600 is the BIG Line.Buy some more there.....and if it kicks my butt.Stop Out at R575.....Don't let the Sun go down on me.Elton John before the implants.AMS be a good girl now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
706 sounds about right.Interestingly though, the $Platinum chart is showing a BUY signal.And on the AMS chart, price is now on the 400 ma line.Crucial Support.The MACD shows good Positive divergence( bounce coming,usually hard and quick.)But yeah,Short at/near the 50ma line.Play safe.I went in at R640.I will buy more at R620.R600 is the BIG Line.Buy some more there.....and if it kicks my butt.Stop Out at R575.....Don't let the Sun go down on me.Elton John before the implants.AMS be a good girl now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Well as we are talking trading the advice is always preserve capital - school fees even to experienced guys do happen ;-).

If we talking holding the actual share and not the derivatives then average down for investment purposes (if you can afford it)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
If you can stick it through to about 560 - 570 - you could pick up a bargain again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Any views on implats?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Bargain at the 168 levels.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
IMLANTS is at the but range now, 180 to 200
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
Still early to tell but i think take a shot at it at current levels if you want to but it closed below important support at 180 this i'm a bit sceptical entering now. I'll be waiting to catch it lower down.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
O it did not yet - a go for it buddy!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
so would you wait for 168 or buy now for the bounce?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
If there's a clear reversal today take it for a quick move to 187 or higher otherwise not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Hmmm...feels like I paid school fees again by NOT averaging down at 64,000 but by selling at a loss. Looks like it's in an upbeat mode today like most of resources.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
nah, you playing with hindsight .. at the point of exiting you were losing money and frankly your call was wrong .. best thing to do was exit .. hanging on does not work, especially with derivatives as time costs money ..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
the best thing to do is to break you trades into three (33.3%), when the share is at the buy stage but there is an down to it, so that you can invest the rest of the money as share is finding the bottom rather than to average down which is wrong, if the share appreciate at 33.3% investment , hey you still make money,take baby steps and you will be laughing all the way to the bank a yr down the line
0 Kudos