Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

APOCALYPSE WHAT APOCALYPSE

Project_Directo
Super Contributor
Hi Everyone ;) I just can't help but see all these write-ups in papers and the news and on TV about the bad times ahead! Why is it that we are so receptible to such nonsense? Put things in perspective and you will soon realise, you are being fed exactly what you need! So, the markets have gone down for the past 2 weeks or so! Sub Prime problems in the US are slowly rippling through to RSA hitting US and others! WOW! anyone would be excused to think it's the end of our times, the financial apocalypse....! Is it really? Do you really believe all the ***** being fed to us to be true? OK, let's for one moment look at this and accept it just for the sake of allowing the majority leading us into believing this is all happening. And? so what? What has really changed in your life that would make you feel so negative? has anything really changed? OK! you have a portfolio that was worth R100,000.00 2 weeks ago and now it's worth R80,000.00! what a loss I hear you say! but is it really a substantiated loss? did you physically sustain a loss whereby you have less money in your pocket? Think again, this loss is on paper only realised if you panicked recently and sold out your whole portfolio! right? But you didn't! so where is your loss??? Wake up and smell the roses people ;) You are being fed a scare tactic that repeats itself in each correction time after time! you are being led to believe this is it!!!!!!! it's all over, pack up, sell up and move on!!! Make no mistake that if you had panicked in this minor correction, someone is now sitting on a nice nest egg ready to cash in when the time is right, and make no mistake that I strongly believe these correction are made to change the balance of power from the weakest to the strongest and by listening to what you are being fed you are doing exactly what is expected of you! Why did I post this? It is my way of making you aware that my belief in our way of life has never been stronger! As you get older and you experience the interaction between people from all walks of life, you soon realise that you and I are not so different afterall. The difference between you and I is that I am able to distinguish between truth and lie, between right and wrong, between fear and greed! For the majority it is fear of the unknown as we are told all sorts of remarkable declines in the markets on a global scale, however we are never told or should I say seriously told: It's all OK and it's business as usual, we just want scare the b-jesus out of you and your holdings! How do I know that? Have a good look at yourself and tell me if this market correction has changed you physically, has it? are you now starving and unable to feed your family? are you not able to pay your bills next week? are you not able to meet your mortgage repayments this month? Well, I am sure none of the above even remotely apply to you! yet we post on this forum of the doom and gloom of our market! I guess I am maybe trying to make you all feel better about something you may feel so strongly about, the decline in our market! At the end of the day, you have your health, your family and friends, you are able to eat and you still have your share portfolio which has declined in value, but really, think about what is that value if not being altered and manipulated by a force greater than you and I on a daily basis! The same force feeding you negative vibes and encouraging you to simply sell because the market is declining, only to for that force to pick up what value you have thrown away! You may think I am raving on, but recommend you reading this post at least a couple of times, you may be able to have a better understanding of what I mean to say. At the end of the day even if my portfolio reduced by 90% in value! I would not sell, I would be crazy to do so, I simply ride it out like the smarter few and take opportunities along the way. I sincerely feel sorry for people that panic in these situations and sell out at huge losses, if only they knew what the real truth is all about! So, let's be the smarter few that don't realise losses and take advantage understanding what corrections are all about! Bid you all a happy and relaxing weekend ;) I know I'll be enjoying mine, smiling when I get up in the morning knowing my portfolio is in decline by as much as 30% at minimum. LIFE IS GRANDE, ENJOY IT
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
asylum
Super Contributor
All well and fair but why should i incurr a loss when i can sell and buy back when the dust has settled at a cheaper price. why wait for a 30 % drop first dont make sense to me.OMO
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Oh and by convering my shares into cash i still get +- 8% a year from the bank and when the time is right you buy back in too shares at a much better price while you have too wait to make up your 30% loss before showing a profit. Its just bussiness you see.
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
Simple,do you have a crystal ball to tell you when the upswing will kick in, i doubt it so basicly put a long time investor will be playing with not more than 30% with 70% in strong equities.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Loved your article....it's exactly what I say as well....anyone who sells now needs their head's read.
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
sounds like the plan
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
I dont need a crystal ball but common sense will tell you. I might not catch the upswing exactly right but at least i wont get caught right at the bottom either. Depends how you want to invest long term or short term.
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
fair comment friend. hows your portfolio looking any tips?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
One of the most important strategies in trading is a stop loss strategy. Easy to write and say well I've lost 30% and don't care. The market gained 300% in the last four years. Remember that previous market crashes wiped out portfolio's to such an extent that it took years to recuperate. You're right that this is currently just a glitch, but in coming years that attitude might cost you dearly. If you've lost 30% on a 15% ALSI correction, where will your portfolio be with a 30%+ crash? The last four years was nothing more than one big party, but be careful that you don't carry that party attitude with you in leaner years, because you might just find the need for a big, airtight buttplug one day.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
2 words "risk management"
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
One of the most important strategies in trading is a stop loss strategy.WRONG -Make a profit. Easy to write and say well I've lost 30% and don't care.DID NOT make a loss did not sell. The market gained 300% in the last four years.that's why I am where I am, like you. Remember that previous market crashes wiped out portfolio's to such an extent that it took years to recuperate.I disagree, they sold and that's why they struggled. You're right that this is currently just a glitch, but in coming years that attitude might cost you dearly. NA the market will always go up the last 100 tears shows it, I only need my cash in 25 years from now. If you've lost 30% on a 15% ALSI correction, where will your portfolio be with a 30%+ crash? The last four years was nothing more than one big party, but be careful that you don't carry that party attitude with you in leaner years, because you might just find the need for a big, airtight buttplug one day. Got one its in the form of a solid share portfolio which wont be sold at times like these. ANY TIPS.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree to some extent PD...If you have invested your money long term and can afford to sit taking these losses by all means do it because with out doubt this market will turn and these equities will probably be at their peaks again within the next couple of months. But should you be investing in derivitives where your short term profits are your life support, unfortunatly a 30% loss will hurt a hell of alot. I am in the situation where i have to trade the up and down swings of the market. So as much as i prefer going long in the market when these corrections come, i need to accept that the market is running down and trade accordingly. Just my point of view guys. PS - ABSA up and down is an easy derivative to trade.$$$$$$$$$$$$$
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
I hear your thunder and i dont have the answers to all comers but i guess as its been said a trillion times, its dependant on your own appetite to the position of risk. Ever figured out how many properties you now own in the USA.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Are you sure you're not invested in some unit trust with a monthly debit order? If your investment term is 25 years that what are you doing with a STD online account? There is no need to watch a portfolio with a 25 year term on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. You could review it once a year and then entertain us with your keen observation and wittiness. ļ
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
Kwagga, i am afraid to say your bleetings are a tad non objective. I have a strategy which appears poles apart from yours, i aim for profit not meer survival. As i said before, we should ignore the short term bump which is currently blowing through and get this market back up. It is only down if you sold out, did you sell 50% or 80% of your stock ??
0 Kudos