Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ARL results out

SKALA
Super Contributor
and looks OK to me. Presently holding some cfd's and thinking to switch into shares for longer term hold. Any views?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
barry_1
Super Contributor
Usually only runs up well till the pay out in Dec,it will gain during rest of year but is very volatile,that is why i included in my installment list see our website!
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Barry, correct. Since no installments, bought CFD's. However, I think they may have a better year in 2010 with lower costs and possibly higher demand for their products.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Astral is the biggest animal feed producer in SA, and if one looks at the results, it is indicative of the current situation in that industry. Profit has reduced from R385 to R299mil from feed sales but shows an increase in profit from R163 to R282 mil from the poultry division. For this reason I've always preferred RBW to ARL as RBW are the biggest producers of poultry in SA and their exposure to the animal feed industry (EPOL) is less than ARL(MEADOW).If one wants exposure to this sector I would suggest CBH as I feel both ARL & RBW (which I have held for years and still do) are fully priced.I run a medium size business (animal feed)(T.Over R110mil), giving me better insight into the listed shares that are in this sector.I cannot speak for other provinces but in KZN, ARL's market share of the feed industry is falling every year due to the number of smaller mills that have been established over the last 10 years.In fact I'm willing to say that Meadow's contribution from this province to the group's total profit is minimal.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Thanks for your input; useful info.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Hi PH,what about Afgri? WHat are your thoughts on feed prices going forward?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Would you believe I had a dream 2 nights ago that ARL and RBW were going up 10%... I have never looked at these shares in my life! Weird.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
They will be paying the same amount in their dividend as last year,which is comendable,in the dire circumstances we all find ourselves in these days.They say the prospects for the year going forward is expected to produce better results and all things being equal is probabluy correct.I did not buy this year but they are on my short list to be bought in the second half of next year.Now all eyes should turn to Rainbow which is coming up for their finals in June 2010 and taking a line through Astral as a guide should produce better results than last year.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
In reply to your question,WS, my view on feed prices is if one looks at the futures the farmer is under pressure for the next year , therefore the lower feed prices will benefit the users of feed be it beef, pork or poultry. As far as AFR( afgri) they are different in make up to RBW & ARL, as they are far more exposed to the farmer, who at present are under the whip.Their exposure to the poultry industry, which is nice and profitable at the moment(for reasons I have given in my previous posts, and also confirmed by this weeks ARL results), is nowhere near the 2 big players. AFR are closing or have closed a large number of their smaller trading outlets inherited from OTK & NLK (Natal landbou Koop).Their performance this past year has been bouyed to a certain extent by the record crops, where they have a monopoly in storage capacity in certain provinces, eg Ithink they own all the maize storage silos in KZN. They closed their only feed mill in KZN hopng to increase through put in their mill in Bethlehem(prev Nolko Feeds), but cost of delivery to KZN put paid to that.I see further competition in Eastern OFS, coming from OVK( one of SA's best run Coops), with their recent purchase into Nupro Commodities in Bethlehem. AFR were planning a mill in PMBurg should have been operational by end of 2009, but as there is over capacity here at present it appears this is on hold.I do hold shares in AFR, which have been disappointing. I would not be a buyer at these levels but at 550 and below mayb e worth a punt.Trust the above will help in making up your mind.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks PH,thats fair comment. I also hold both CBH and AFR,but also feel that CBH has lagged the others and hopefully will catch up. Am also involved in the poultry business in Kzn,where is your business situated?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Pork City.....well, used to be!!!!!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Prancing Horse. That is the most informative post I have read in some time..thanks for that info..keep it coming
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Sure,but what about Johnno's dream-anyone going long on the strength of that?
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
No disrespect to Johnno, but took profit on ARL this morning.
0 Kudos