Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Advise for beginner guys

Not applicable
Hi all, just some help needed, i see the markets are quite down this week and the All Share testing 26000 barrier. Is it get out now and hang 5 or do you guys buy up good shares now - i.e HAR posted great stuff yesterday and results out 8 Feb? HAR close to 12 month low, time to buy or rather not. Just very tricky at moment and wouldn't mind some expert advise.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
saash
Super Contributor
we guessing just as much as you are pal. Trade the trend.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Market could do anything, but usually you stay out on a Friday unless you have a reason for buying. Most times you cannot say what the week-end will bring, and you dont want a sleepless week-en worrying about it. If you have longer timeframes to invest, I guess you buy where you feel it is cheep (as per your reasoning above). Only you can say what you think and I am not seeing what you are seeing and the next guy is not seeing what I am seeing or what you are seeing. But a quick look, it is possible the share could head up but until it is confirmed (unless you like speculating) wait for the signals.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, great help and advise. I suppose when the whole market is down you must ID 1 share, you must just be patient, long term like you say.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Some advice dont buy HAR especially long term!! Rather try BIL,ARI. Try the finacials SBK,ABL or smokes and drinks BTI,SAB.Food stocks also good TBS,PFG,AVI,ARL. Dont go HAR as when you look 10 years down the line its worth exactly what you put in! That dont sound to good to me! If yur a beginner go for stocks which pay dividends because at least every 6 months you will have some extra cash to spend when you are more experienced.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
The easy money from a capital gain point of view was made from march last year up around 40/50%-that was the time to invest when blood was on the streets.Now so called experts are saying market has run hard and correction due-last time the 'experts'said that the market moved agressively up another 30% with 'experts' saying it could never last-eventually experts were proved right which took us down to march last year and experts said no point in investing as recovery is no where to be seen. The market is likely to go way too high and then way too low again that's why it's fun.my guess is that there is more upside left before we hit another crazy peak but it's anyone's guess and I am no expert but then who is.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
It may have been QUICK money but certainly not EASY money. One of the most difficult times (psychologically) to buy shares is..... "when their is blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own." - Rothschild
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
true but that is the challenge-can you buy when everyone else is selling and can you sell when everyone else is buying-easy to say but not easy to do,however if u do it right with biggish stakes then you can set yourself up for life.
0 Kudos