Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Advise

Rossi
Contributor
hi guy and girls. I have just recieved my results for CFA level 1 and failed for the second time. One positive side is I didn't fail by much, but a fail is a fail. I really think not working in a fiancial field and working a full time job makes it alot more diffucult. Therefore my question is, do you think it will be a better idea for me to write the trader exams through the JSE and try and get a job as a junior dealer and hopefully find a job in the field and then attempt CFA again? suggestions would be great... Regards
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Depends where your interests lie - and what you want to do for a career.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Working and studying is extremly difficult and takes alot of dedication. Spent 6yrs straight from high school doing that.
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Don't feel bad about failing CFA it's not easy... If it was everyone would have one. If possible do it full time, if not then take sometime off from studying and understand why you want a CFA and see if there are other ways of getting to your goal from you current position. That could mean finding another job, becoming a trader or even working in a finance role at a corporate. Understanding your goals are more important than a qualification!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Study harder, give yourself more time and write it again in December!!!!
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
You can do level 1 in June again?
0 Kudos
Rossi
Contributor
I know I can take it in June again... just not motivated to go at it again just yet.....I will never write in Decemeber again, the odds are really against you. I would like to get into trading shares also researching, I'm keen to just get in, if I trade internally for a company or trade for companys and clients... maybe an equity dealer..... Looking to complete a course through saifm, has anybody done any of the courses?
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Another option may be to attend the courses below http://www.jhbfin.co.za/gup/filez/CFA%20LEVEL%201%20JUNE%202009.pdf I received this info when I registered for my CFA I in jan. I'm not attending but have attended a short course there at it was pretty decent. Cost is not bad if you struggling to dedicate the time or lacking motivation. I found that studying part time is alot easier if you attending lectures since get help if you need it from the lecturer or your classmates. I'm trying to do the CFA solo as I am tired of spending 6 hours a week in the classroom after work...however I'm already finding it harder to dedicate the required hours than before....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the rpe's from saifm really easy - as long as you read the book once or twice before hand .. that said the exams are designed to try and catch you out - but still passing them not tricky ..
0 Kudos
Running_bull
Frequent Contributor
Rossi, def suggest attempting it again. It does help a little working in the same line of work, but more NB, why are you studying CFA, and not already in somewhat line of investment/finance/trading. You must just be in the right mindset.
0 Kudos
Rossi
Contributor
I'm studying CFA, because it will help me progress in the work place alot quicker, and potentialy help me in a personal capacity when it comes to researching and investing, CFA is internationally recognised, therefore if I have to get out of this country I can and chances are be employed alot easier... (Hopefully not have to leave S.A, I still like this country alot) I actually went to those courses you suggested, and they where a waste of time and money.... Did not get what I wanted out of them. Any advice I have for CFA, try and get though the work as quickly as possible and understand it, and write alot of practice exams... I mean alot!!!! the way I'm thinking is to get in, by writing the the saifm exams so atleast I'm sellable to investing companies and hopefully they will hire me so I can get exposure, It will be alot easier when you dealing with atleast some of the work everyday. thanks guys, your input helps.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
The irony of course is that all those failed Wall Street investment banks were littered with CFA/MBA types...and they nevertheless suffered massive governance failures - still nothing that beats plain old common sense and independent thinking!
0 Kudos