Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

After the slump

DawieB
Contributor
So, as always I do a big trade before a major event happens, like the Amplats I bought before the quake! AARGH! Been stressing about it for weeks now... So here's hoping it returns to pre-quake levels 'soon'... But my question is, in your expert opinions, which shares would be good long term shares going forward, yielding nice dividents as well. If (oh, sorry.. WHEN) my AMS returns to previous levels, I'll make a healthy profit, and I want to start building a long term portfolio with some of the profit. Any advice? (I know, I know, it depends on lot of factors e.g. personal preference etc... but I'm just looking for some bits to chew on.) Thanks!
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I'll give you two solid long term holds, SOL and BTI, MMI worth a punt if they can mesh the two companies together, there must be synergies that could make this a good dividend generating stock
0 Kudos
joebeav
Not applicable
Pile into Grindrod if and when you have extra cash. Long term looks great, good team and Maputo Port expansion looking good.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If you have a penchant fo commodities - buy ANGLO AMERICAN / BILLITON /ARM / EXXARO / OPTIMUM / ASSORE - and just put them away. Some trade better than AMS too - and once you have the confidence of being able to carry a stock - it is so much easier to stomach the pulbacks!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- for div.yield you in the top 40 you can't beat KIO.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
MTN and vodacom
0 Kudos
Not applicable
AMS is a beaut. Get 640 and below offload 700+. I got in a bit high 645 I think but after today Im okay with that. Damn my system for not seeing the tsunami coming :)
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Dawie, for nice dividend stocks you can use the filters of this site. Probably not all "good" shares to have in portfolio though. I would strongly recommend you read++ and do homework++ (= very rewarding once you have a nice strong portfolio!). Also in my opinion, join up with JustOneLap (justonelap.com) - good education seldom comes for free!!
0 Kudos
DawieB
Contributor
Thanks all. Will check out all your advice. AMS had a VERY good close yesterday... Now it should continue its trend, especially with Japan car manufacturers getting up and running again. Optimistically if I can ride it out to 73000 I'll make a 100% profit! But will stick on a trailing stop way before that. Just imagined if we knew about the quake and went short before this whole thing happened....
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
In the past,i held AMS for three of years and the price increased from around R10 to R300. This kind of price increse happens regulary as the dividends go up.I expect the dividend to double in the next year.I am writing about these events on my blog at the moment.
0 Kudos