Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Age..

eddy66
Super Contributor
How old were you when you first started to trade and how did you get started? When did you start following the markets? This is for everybody!...excluding Simon
0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
john_1
Super Contributor
I started to trade my sandwiches for beter tasting goodies in SubA got involved in the markets at 25> what was the third question?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Only started this year @ 25 years, still a Blue Collar Trader.
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
started trading @ 27, had an intrest long before.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Started following shares when I was 14. Gave it up for a few years and started following markets at around 29 years old. Started trading at 34 and wiped out.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Investopedia term of the day!
0 Kudos
Aapstert
Occasional Contributor
I only started to trade when I was 36 got a few bucks from somewhere, started to follow the market at that time, must say I am hooked to it, long term trader. But I must admit that I am still making mistakes.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Everytime I trade gold stocks I have lost 2/3rd's capital, going back to West Wits and Knights in the '80's. When I heard OST ad on the radio signed up immediately, 2001? Trade regularly however eaten bird seed this week as been on leave!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Started @ 24, still learning to curb mistakes. It's all fun. Am going nowhere! ;-)
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
I lie, May 2002, when Barry used to give me advise on warrants! First opportunity that came my way to trade without a Broker was this site in my '30's.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Started trading at 20, wiser older people led the way for me. Remember sitting watching tv with a family friend and he was watching summit tv, I didnt have a clue what it all meant, but after he explained it all I made a point of learning about the markets. Still learning now.
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
47-in 11th month on jse. Make stupid mistakes, but i had some luck to. 70% in 11 months is not to bad is't?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
started when i was 23, had an interest since 16 or so when i played around with virtual portfolios, e.g. www.iii.co.uk, read many books when i was supposed to do school work, and when i got my first job, i started accumilating cash and when it reached a decent level bought long term shares, since then am up quite well (luckily for me i caught the last bull market quite well) and am still learning all the time. Forever learning is the way forward, long term shares/stock market is very cool (for me at least) as i tend to read all the annual reports from companies i like and this i believe teaches me more about their business and my general knowledge.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Started when I was 18, not actively though, bought blue chips for long term growth.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
No, that is very good - on what?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
started in September (best posble time!) i'm 21. Have just about gotten back to where i stared in september. learnt a lot along the way
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
this is cool.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Who is Permatraders and who Full time jobs? if job, in what sector?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Started investing in shares '87 at age 38, never been a saver always an investor, be it property or various businesses.Started investing in shares after cancelling my medical aid.Currently liqidating properties and investing heavily in the market, with the intention of living off dividends.Only recently (8 months) started trading SSF, having trebled my initial capital, hope not beginners luck. I find it very encouraging that there are so many in their 20's on this forum investing for the long term. My advice to them is not to stop investing for the long term, however small the amonts may seem. Remember a bucket placed under a dripping tap will also get full, and without waste.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Full time... financial planner with standarbank financial consultancy but looking at moving over to mementum next month.
0 Kudos