Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Age..

Not applicable
i started trading at 21 on forex,join jse on 23. im 24 now. made a couple mistakes but going strong now.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
moosedawg. im a lab technician at a stainless steel company
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Full time job science/environmental/data sector. Wannabe a day trader though.
0 Kudos
JPG
Occasional Contributor
Started in Sept08, been following markets for about 3 yrs, cashed my unit trust 2 trade, only breaking even though for nw. Metallurgist in a chrome mine.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Started trading (through a broker) in '97, started well then got a klap with the IT shares, after 18 months of trading just managed to get what I had put in, broker did pretty well though. Started OST about 10 months ago and keeping head above water, OST is doing ok on me though. Have my own small engineering business
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm just started, 31, Network engineer, any tips on what to read to learn and understand more
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
My first purchase was RMH in 1991/2 with R10k, broker at the time advised me not to purchase shares through a him but rather buy unit trusts, reason: The amount of cash was too small... I never took his advice, and I learnt alot trading!
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
mainly jbl 500% unf. < 10% of prtf. snu 43&73% mtx 77% & taw 125%. jbl i cashed up the rest only paper profit.
0 Kudos
dbm
Frequent Contributor
I first started trading via a Brocker in 1973. Gold shares was what it was all about. Have been an Investor ever since.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Started At 18.. Each day gets better and better!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Cool Idea.I love your thinking I started dreaming about investing in 2006 (21 years old), started learning them 2007 (22) and first invested DELTA 2008 (23) and hardly hit by Wesizwe 2009 (24). I have not realised any profits yet but has learned more than my losses. Hope thats what only matters 'learning'. Wits University student.
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Agree - This is a cool thread!. As a young engineer I started trading gold shares (now no mores - Deelkraal, Maryvale etc) in the gold rush somewhere in 1982/3. Lost small amounts - especially when one of my cheapies was delisted and never re-listed!. Only got interested in Sept/Oct08 again when the bear started to growl. Got excited too quickly - bought IMP futures @ 170 and dumped them @ 8 ouch! - no exit strat in place. Mostly trading small in SSF's to try and make a quick buck - not much luck so far, gonna hang on to SOL and BIL!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
mmm nice question, have various long term instruments from 95s and made a reasonable portfolio, used the profits in 2008 to start in warrants blew the bottom out of that, then changed to ssfs and have never looked back, hit a few speed bumps with ang, ams, agl and imp. bread and butter fsb, sbk, ppc, acl, sab, sol and oml. I look at the charts, set a rand value, get in, when I hit my Rs I get out and close for the day.The rest of the time I test Vodka, keep the wife happy and play with my son to be, he will be born in Aug.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
mmm nice question, have various long term instruments from 95s and made a reasonable portfolio, used the profits in 2008 to start in warrants blew the bottom out of that, then changed to ssfs and have never looked back, hit a few speed bumps with ang, ams, agl and imp. bread and butter fsb, sbk, ppc, acl, sab, sol and oml. I look at the charts, set a rand value, get in, when I hit my Rs I get out and close for the day.The rest of the time I test Vodka, keep the wife happy and play with my son to be, he will be born in Aug.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the only thing I have ever tasted in Vodka is.... the Lime!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Nah, first a slice of salami then it must be neat and chase it with lime juice mmmmmmm
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Hi DEP, do you still hold those shares in RMH? Its one of my favourate companies...
0 Kudos
Aapstert
Occasional Contributor
Ja, must admit...speed bumps are dangerous, specialy if you move at a speed. 2006 I also started with the ssf trend, within a month 200k became 400k, and then the speed bump, wiped out 500k in a few months. Only started to trade ssf in 2009 again, geared instruments are dangerous if you dont handle it with care and proper strategies in place. Must say your job sounds good Jack.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Similar to JPG, also cashed in unit trusts and started trading in about sep2008, a few long term shares but mainly ssf. Last year a bit of a roller coaster ride, but broke even. This year better, up 60% so far. FD by day.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
started investing last year @ 18 after studying share trading and investing! looking for long term capital growth, which will allow me to establish a property holding company in the future! with the ultimate goal of passive income! LOVE OST!
0 Kudos