Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Age..

ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Ya, me too!
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
Let me start by thanking everyone who participated in the thread,and for those who thought it was agood idea,you made it good!I'll end it with telling my story... I'm a pro golfer and have been following the markets for almost 2 years.Whenever there was a tv and my dad in one room,it would be on summit,just graph after graph after graph...What on earth did this all mean?The whole family are charted accountants so you can say I'm the odd one out,as I started playing golf straight after school.My gap year became 2,3,4 and then I turned pro.Anyone who studied economy 101 should know that to make half a decent living you have to be in the top20 on the order of merit.Long story short I decided to change my career(in the process of doing it anyway).I've been studing part time at UNISA,asset management,but I'm gonna be a Tukkie at age 30 next year. Started with virtual trade August 2007,then moved on to real money,small amounts,20k,40k just to do some trades and get the hang of it.Invested a couple of bucks and by december 2008 I was up,not much but was up.Attended a futures course 3 months ago and I think everyone knows of all the insane future trades I made.There's very little left,200k.Geared instruments together with greed,fear and panic turned out to be the recipe for disaster.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Yes,Eddy.It's funny that I wouldn't for a second think I could start playing golf today and make a living out of it.Like most things it takes years of practice (and talent)to become good.Even then most golfers never make it.Yet we all think we can start trading and become rich quickly.I shudder to think how many traders get wiped out.All I know is that new forumites are appearing all the time and seem to just disappear quietly.If I didn't have a job to fall back on I would certainly have been one of them.I'm sure some traders end up making a fortune,but I suspect it is only those in the top 20 on the traders order of merit!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Eddie I take my hat off to you and I hope and wish you all the good fortune a man can have. Last week I broke a mil, been retrenched and have 3 weeks left :((I am a Vodka tester;))in 7 weeks my wife will have a baby, in 12 weeks autumn starts, in 27 weeks it is XMAS. Eddy we learn in small chunks one lesson at a time, and 9 out of 10 we will repeat the same mistakes over and over.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'll have a go.

I can't remember when I first started reading up about markets, but I think the first book I read was A Random Walk on Wall Street. Since then I've devoured lots, but usually from an investing perspective. I first got into the market near the bottom of the .com crash. I played around some, lost a bit, made a bit, kept adding money each month, pouring every extra cent into stocks. At some point a friend needed an investor and the market wasn't doing too much, so I exited. A year later I had 100% profit. You know - if I'd stayed in the market and just left it, I would have made much more! Had Sasol at R90, top 40 at 7000-ish, IIRC.

Anyway, around 2007 I'd been aching to get back in, but I was very suspicious of the rally, though. All assets going nuts. All I knew was equities, not SSF etc, so no way to short it, and couldn't trust going long. I only got the idea of SSF from a friend pretty late, so have been working out my own system since.

My aim, though, is to have the majority in "fire-and-forget" insanely good long-term investments, with as close to Warren Buffett's approach as I can do. I'll use SSF as a booster when great opportunities present themselves.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Dont post much but been with STD bank now for 2 years first trade was APA and aspen made some money as the market was so good you could throw darts at a share and did not need to know too much however the market turned as we all know and i got out in the first few days but left 50% of my money in I subsequently lost 50% of that. Much more wiser now and have strict emotionless stoplosses in place.I try on to have a complicated strading strategy and keep it as simple as possible try to trade in and out of a couple of shares only. I am an engineer by trade so i battle reading balance sheets etc hence I rely on one or two indicators and concentrate on knowing only 5 shares very well
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Hehe I can only count to 5 myself, I battle with the 6 and 9, can never remember which is which, it is very confusing lol
0 Kudos