Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Agony Aunty

saash
Super Contributor
Getting a divorce ... Anyone got great advise, a great lawyer, or a great eligible batchelor for me?
0 Kudos
73 REPLIES 73
Galuc
Super Contributor
If u born poor its not ur fault but if u marry poor then u a ****. Best advice I have.
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
Think twice, especially if you fall into the Red Zone category ie age 35-45
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
If at first you do not succeed, then try and try again
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
If 35-45 is the Red Zone, what happens after 45 - the blue rinse zone?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Try your best to reconcile..Marriage is a safeguard to many evils..
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
im 51 and got married 2weeks ago, the damdest things happen when you least expect them. Always be honourable, always be your best,,and who cares about age anyway, you are only as old as you portray yourself, smile ;) you never know who is looking
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
I qualify, but sh.t as a trader! Suppose that rules me out! Congrats Jack, I'm also 51 but thinking about this getting married (again) very carefully.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Youre only as old as the woman you are feeling. Ons a serious note after practising law the last 15 od years I have practically never seen someone walking out the winner. Theres usually only losers in a divorce. Before taking the step make very sure that you have explored all avenues to reconcile. Once you are sure there is no possibility of the above get it over as soon as possible. Remember to have your will changed after divorce and if you ever remarry that a antenuptial contract is indispensible.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
about 10 years ago my friend who is an advocate told me that the actual cost of devorce is R40 (allow for inflation) and if you can settle without a lawyer you can file it yourselves...now if you can do that that should save you a bunch of cash ( PS I am really sorry to here this news )
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
I'm signing my settlement agreement tomorrow. The only thing I lost are the years of going through the divorce. Those years are priceless. Not to mention the lines it put on my face. took two years to get divorced. The ante-nuptial didnt speed up the process nor make it cheaper.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Ensure you have that pension pay out (if applicable in your case)according to the latest laws in place - it requires a very specific wording, else you might be waiting, as well as suffering a tax sacrifice, better to place the pay out in a preservation fund.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I believe I've tried everything, and sacraficed too much. He's in the "red" zone. I've reasoned till I was blue in the face, and then filed. He's in love with someone else, but apparently that's beside the point. I think its a huge mistake, and yes, everyone looses. He's got a hot-shot attorney, and mine - well I can't even find him half the time.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
I have been married 32 years although i dont believe we have been unfaithful we have had a million arguments and even spent a few weeks apart but eventualy we seem to be eating at the same table and watching the same sport. I would do every thing possible not to divorce, trial seperation or any thing but if all else fails, the best way to get over one man is to get under another...good luck
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I'm a confirmed batchelor.It can be tough having total freedom and no one to fight with.he he.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Saash, Russ has just mentioned he is a confirmed bachelor, nothing mentioned about eligible. (LOL)
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Some think i'm an illegible bachelor-they find it difficult to read me.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Sad sad news, shows lack of commitmend and dedication and it is difficult to stay with someone if their gameplan is different to yours! At these times we should remaind focused. Once we marry we forget that we are then 2 people living as one. It does not mean that because you like apples I have to like apples. To much time is wasted being together and alone. Most days my wife takes me for a walk(I dislike it)in the rain,snow and sunshine and she talks about everything (mine is limited Sex,Trading and rock +Roll) It is good, there are no distractins ie.TV, radios internet etc. at these times I see the beauty in her more and more..lately I wish we could keep walking more and more.....
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Some most inspiring messages here... I've been married 34 years and like SIMBA I can endorse the many tough times that comes up during such a period. But it takes two to tango and one hell of an effort to get the party that abandons the bedroom to change the mind set. But when the latter succeeds one can always look back on the good times and look forward to better times and a stronger partnership in marriage. Good luck and blessings to those of you that still has to go through hell fire before peace dawn upon the situation.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Eligible Bachelor right here. The person that I'm looking for should be 1) a virgin; 2) Have a tertiary qualification in a science field; be an atheist.
0 Kudos