Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Agricultural Commodity Traders?

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hi. Are there any agricultural commodity traders on this site? Being a qualified agricultural scientist (amonst other things), I'm looking at entering this field. Any advice?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
Yeah, if it trends up, trade it. If it trends down, trade it.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
kokkie
Contributor
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi HG, I have tried my luck at trading agri futures before. If you want to work in the field I suggest becoming familiar with the millers and big farmers out there as they will most likely become your clients if you hedge/import thier physicals. When it comes to the futures you need to know all about supply and demand and the local and international crop balance sheets. You will also need to have a good understanding of import and export parities of all relevant countries and track this daily to become aware of arbitrage as well as trading opportunities. Anaysing farmers cost of production is also vital to determine "floor" prices of the futures. Finally you need to do your own investigation into crop estimates and be able to forecast potential yields/crop sizes to trade longer term. Having said all this, pls note this is one of the accounts I have blown:)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
qualified agicultural scientist, does planting my own veggie patch (mielies, pumpkin, potatoes etc incl, no hemp yet) qualify me for a similar qualification?.... ;-)
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
If you know how to take it from the genes up . . . yup.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Sounds like too much work. Simpler looking at charts and working out ranges.
0 Kudos