Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Almost fell off my chair

Blik
Super Contributor
...this morning with the good BDM results. I am so deep in the mire with this one, I don't think I'll ever get even. I keep in my portfolio as a constant lesson.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Blik
Super Contributor
Up 40 odd % today....hmmm - am not sure the good news is that good.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
-50% over three years! Last thing I learnt was never to hold on to losses like this - there is no upside to capital unproductively employed-neither financially nor emotionally.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
bigger loss for me, but total value is small, so I keep as a lesson! I need it to gain about 400% before I am (like ACDC) Back in Black!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Partridge - if you dont need the capital then rather wait it out. Because you could easily salvage whatever is left and the invest that it something that still might not work out. Rather let it sit and recover....
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well, if its down 400% then it may cost more to close the position, the lesson is to get out before its worth nothing...exit strategy even for investments...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
not down by 400%, down by 75% which means it needs to gain 400% to break even.....share can only be down 100% before its worthless.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Eish,good one!....so why keep the lesson, you still have 25%, so get rid of it
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
jd, what if it never recovers ?? Didata was R70 in 2000 delisted at 1306c in 2010 ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
not talking any significant numbers at all, so keep it there as a reminder of why one should have a stop loss. And who knows, maybe, just maybe one day she be back up again....the fallacy of hope.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
One does not need to make up losses the way one lost it. Is BDM the best company to invest what's left of your capital from your investment in BDM?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
great point .. don't revenge trade/invest
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
A coin has three sides. From what I gather the current investment is so small that the psychological value this poor investment offers in his portfolio might be worth more to his other investments than him closing this investment and putting it somewhere else. When I started trading in the 90's my first investment was R15k in Accord. I was 80% up and then after the .com bust I had R 2400 left in that account. The lesson I learned from that I still carry with me today. It was money "well" lost.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
As an investor I don't think one has to stare at the share code and the loss in order to remember a lesson - one never forgets your bad losses. And whenever I have sold a lossmaker and reinvested the money I have always remembered where the initial funds came from - even where I am well up. but everyman to his own
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Spot on there Kwagga - investment is small enough to carry the risk, and I keep is as a reminder. I have time on my side though....I think.....I hope.
0 Kudos